Scrim Color Codes

Thanks for the responses, and the stop information.

I also have a yellow-bordered 18x24" Artificial Silk White.

That would be a silk flag. For diffusion purposes obviously. In film school we called them China silks. I would hope the yellow frame means it's different from a non-yellow silk. Otherwise, there is something inherently (slightly) racist by calling something 'yellow' chinese.

On the topic of flags, perhaps it was chance, but I've been on many a set, and just this weekend the double nets (which were provided by the production) were white!

I kept bitching to my gaffer/assistant that I hadn't seen the double nets all day and he should find them. Little did I realize they were white! I'm not talking about the rim either. The actual netting which restricts the light, was not black. So at a distance they looked like diffusion silk.

I felt dumb but was fascinated that they made white double nets.

I hope I never see them again! :lol:

white double nets? that is odd.

silks with yellow rims are double silks, white rims are single silks. I have heard them called single stop and double stop silks, but I don't know for a fact if they cut one and two stops respectively, I choose them more on feel than numbers. Doubles are a little heavier fabric than the singles.

I was under the impression that the term flag referred to a black-fabric light-blocking device.

Well how I describe the objects:

All nets, solids and silks are types of flags.

The nets are the single/ double light reducing flags.

The solids block all light.

The silk diffuse the light.

"Flagging off" a light does mean using a solid, so perhaps that is the confusion. Maybe I am conducting set in the wrong manner. This is how I refer to my lighting control materials.

If flag is another term for a solid, then what are all of the light control devices referred to as?

Edited by Ryan Patrick OHara

That would be a silk flag. For diffusion purposes obviously. In film school we called them China silks. I would hope the yellow frame means it's different from a non-yellow silk. Otherwise, there is something inherently (slightly) racist by calling something 'yellow' chinese.

I believe that they came in the other order. While I've never heard it called a China silk, I think the name probably comes from China balls, which basically do the same thing, but in sphere form.

Actually Scott, the "China" in China Silk comes from the type of silk used. There are different types of silks, artificial, chinese, and maybe one or two more.

I stand corrected.

I've learned my new fact for the day. How does Chinese compare to artificial in terms of diffusing?