Coraline

• Premium Member

Just got back from seeing this film, thought the story wasn't too bad, but was very impressed visually. Going in, I had just read the recent ASC article on it, and was excited, perhaps more so on a technical interest than anything else. I thought it was going to be hyper-stylized and showy, but felt just the opposite, while the film's visual style was a sort of hyperbole, I thought it did it in a subtle enough way so as not to be jarring.

The different color schemes and production design of each world was spot on, really great attention to detail, in how subtle things could change, such as the shape and architecture of minute details in the house. Reminded me a lot of Pans Labyrinth actually, these alternating worlds expressly told through differing visuals, yet blended well enough to allow them to overlap.

The 3D was well done too, again it didn't hit you over the head, only a couple of 'woah' moments, but for the most part just added a really nice effect of depth into the frame (as opposed to the overused 'popping out')

• Premium Member

I'm glad they opted to use the interocular distance of the puppets' eyes rather than a human's eyes -- it would have created a lot of eyestrain to stare at objects only a few inches away rather than effectively several feet away. I liked the movie overall, nice and eerie.

So the 3D was better than the Super Bowl version then? Cause I didn't much like how the Super Bowl's "3D" turned out.

I still need to see Coraline. I've been really excited about it for sometime, and would have gone yesterday, but I was celebrating my birthday with a couple of other guys and didn't have time to see it.