Transfer Options For A Newbie Here

Allen Johannesson

Hi,

My first post here and it's a couple of non-pro questions.

I have a lot of Super-8 sound footage I'd like to get transferred. It's mostly Kodachrome from the 70's and 80's and I plan to edit it with Windows MovieMaker to eventually burn to DVD for family members.

What is the best route to take to accomplish this?

Also, I've decided to sell my Bolex 581 since I'll never use it again. Any thoughts as to what it might be worth these days?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Allen

Dwayne's processes Kodachrome: http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/newsite2006/mo...kodachrome.html

I don't think they do film to digital transfers, but there are other places that do, including http://www.pro8mm.com. If you Google "super 8 telecine" or "super 8 transfer" you'll find other places as well.

If you search for your Bolex model at ebay and then check "completed items" you can see what people have been paying.

Hi,

My first post here and it's a couple of non-pro questions.

I have a lot of Super-8 sound footage I'd like to get transferred. It's mostly Kodachrome from the 70's and 80's and I plan to edit it with Windows MovieMaker to eventually burn to DVD for family members.

What is the best route to take to accomplish this?

Also, I've decided to sell my Bolex 581 since I'll never use it again. Any thoughts as to what it might be worth these days?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Allen

If quality is not your biggest concern you can actually do it your self at home. I was suprised how good it looked when we did this our selves. My son came home from school with some super 8 animation that he wanted to edit and put on youtube. We projected it onto the back of a piece of duralene which is basicly a piece of frosted plastic. I think any good frosted material would do. Ours was about 14 inches across. We set up my video camera a good distance away and video taped it. The important thing is to use a good frosted material. If you have a zoom lens on your projector put it as far away as you can, the same with your camera. This minimizes the hot spot in the center of the screen. Turn off auto exposure on your camera so that it doesn't change while you are recording. This is rear screen projection. Experiment. You will have to flip the image in edit as it will be a mirror image. Check out the video transfer we did on youtube:

• Premium Member

if your doing a home transfer you'll require a vary speed projector, this will help reduce flicker, basically film the projected image, using manual white balance on your camcorder, manual shutter and manual focus.... Yes a pro transfer will look great, but not cheap...

Has anyone done any "pro" transfers with S8 sound film? I have several rolls in the fridge and I'm tired of looking at them so I'm going to make a short film this summer but I don't want to do a home transfer. Anyone try any of the S8 telecine houses for sound footage?

Thanks for all the tips. My projector won't work that well for a transfer so I'll have to send it away. It's family stuff that no one has seen for years so I might put together 400' or so and just bite the bullet and get it done.

As for the Bolex 581, I couldn't find any completed items on eBay, maybe I didn't look far enough back. I did list it there though. Interesting to see what it might go for considering the interest in Super-8 these days.

Allen

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can always check out my studio, run by cinematographers.

8bit/10bit uncompressed SD to HardDrive or DVcam

www.framediscreet.com

www.framediscreet.blogspot.com

Currently investigating and in development for true 2k cineform RAW xfers.... shhhhh....

Justin Lovell

frame discreet collective

Cinematography.Transfers

Toronto

Has anyone done any "pro" transfers with S8 sound film? I have several rolls in the fridge and I'm tired of looking at them so I'm going to make a short film this summer but I don't want to do a home transfer. Anyone try any of the S8 telecine houses for sound footage?

We can transfer super 8 with sound: www.uppsalabildteknik.com/english/

• 1 month later...
Can always check out my studio, run by cinematographers.

8bit/10bit uncompressed SD to HardDrive or DVcam

www.framediscreet.com

www.framediscreet.blogspot.com

Currently investigating and in development for true 2k cineform RAW xfers.... shhhhh....

Justin Lovell

frame discreet collective

Cinematography.Transfers

Toronto

justin it very good and i will be using him again!I would go for him 100%