Zoom for Bolex S16?

Oliver Christoph Kochs

• Premium Member

I just can't get the idea out of my head to have a good (wide) varifocal lens for my super 16 El with bayonet mount. I own the Vario Switar with Aspheron wide attachment that was common with the EL. But that's Standard16 only giving a lot of vignetting in wide angle up to normal focal lenghts. There was a conversion of this lens available for S16. Has anyone ever tried that? What would be the best vario to use with Bolex S16 in aspects of sharpness and color (multicoated)?

There are almost no "wide" zooms at affordable prices for the Bolex super16.

The older 16-100 Vario-Switar has pretty good coverage but may still show some vignetting at certain focusing distances.

A 15-150mm Angenieux has good coverage throughout the whole range but 15mm is not that wide.

The conversion of the 12.5-100mm to a 14.5 - 115mm, f/2.3 is quite expensive and is basically only offered by Bolex themselves.

Quality should be very good but I don't have any first hand experience with a converted lens.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

Jean-Louis, Thanx for your post. FYI the S16 conversion of the 12.5-100mm is no longer offered by Bolex in Switzerland.

I was asking Mr. Ueter when i had my EL converted in the beginning of last year and he told me that they don't have any parts for it and that it'd be too expensive to produce new rear glass elements.

I have a Bayonet to PL mount converter by Les Bosher UK that does an excellent job, but it adds weight and makes work a bit more difficult because i have to use an additional PL to Arri Standard mount in addition. In comparison to the Arri lenses the Kern Vario also just shines in quality probably because it was made for this camera is multicoated and has the proper RX correction.

I also have the Aspheron which also would be excellent to use. What a pity that i can't.

Jean-Louis, Thanx for your post. FYI the S16 conversion of the 12.5-100mm is no longer offered by Bolex in Switzerland.

I was asking Mr. Ueter when i had my EL converted in the beginning of last year and he told me that they don't have any parts for it and that it'd be too expensive to produce new rear glass elements.

I have a Bayonet to PL mount converter by Les Bosher UK that does an excellent job, but it adds weight and makes work a bit more difficult because i have to use an additional PL to Arri Standard mount in addition. In comparison to the Arri lenses the Kern Vario also just shines in quality probably because it was made for this camera is multicoated and has the proper RX correction.

I also have the Aspheron which also would be excellent to use. What a pity that i can't.

Thanks for the update about the Bolex conversion.

It is still mentioned on their website however, although no prices are listed.

The British website http://www.filmcamerakit.com also still lists it as available.

I guess a lot of people should update their websites.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Hello, friends of swiss fine mechanics,

just found out something AMAZING about the Vario Switar 12.5-100mm:

I used it on my Super16 EL when taking exposure for my other Bolex that has no lightmeter and played around with it a little.

It normally is unusable for S16 because of the strong vignetting below 25mm.

BUT

When i rotate the "Aspheron" button in 12.5mm, i can rack the focus from extreme close up all the way to infinity. Without vignetting.

That makes the 12.5-100mm perfectly usable for S16. The knob almost behaves like a follow focus. What a find.

For those who know things: Are there any negative issues that may result in using the lens like this?!?

Oliver

Hello, friends of swiss fine mechanics,

just found out something AMAZING about the Vario Switar 12.5-100mm:

I used it on my Super16 EL when taking exposure for my other Bolex that has no lightmeter and played around with it a little.

It normally is unusable for S16 because of the strong vignetting below 25mm.

BUT

When i rotate the "Aspheron" button in 12.5mm, i can rack the focus from extreme close up all the way to infinity. Without vignetting.

That makes the 12.5-100mm perfectly usable for S16. The knob almost behaves like a follow focus. What a find.

For those who know things: Are there any negative issues that may result in using the lens like this?!?

Oliver

Heh heh - yup, have discovered this also ;)

the Aspheron knob changes the back focus - as in any other situation with a incorrect back focus, the focal plane will move when you zoom... which in some odd cases with a bit of playing can actually be helpful :lol:

Otherwise you're simply stuck with the one focal length - but yes, what you see is what you get ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Thanx Chris, that's what i hoped for.

I have no interest in zooming around while filming but for me a vario lens comes in handy.

In S16 the 12,5 is quite wide angle and the lens is really sharp.

I may end up enlargening the knob to pull focus a little better.