fuji films 500T vs 400T vs 250T

Edan Sasson

hey everyone

i'm going to shot a short film on super 16. it's mainly en exteriors shot..

Some years ago I shot on the eternal 500T and loved its saturated colors, grain and special feel that it brought.. like an old movie

The problem is I would like to use un open iris and thinking what would I miss by using the 400T or the 250T

If you have some good insights to share.. go ahead

hey everyone

Some years ago I shot on the eternal 500T and loved its saturated colors, grain and special feel that it brought.. like an old movie

The problem is I would like to use un open iris and thinking what would I miss by using the 400T or the 250T

Hi Edan,

The 500T Eterna (not eternal), is not a saturated stock, it's quite soft and have a pastel, low saturated look, and it doesn't have a lot of grain compare to other 500T stock, I think it even has less grain than 7218, but Can't be sure about that.

Didn't understand your problem? what do you mean what would you miss? If you mean that you will miss the grain or the saturation, as I said the 500T is not saturated, the 400T is even less statured and the 250T is pretty much similar to the 500T in look.

If you want to shoot outdoors, I will go with 250T unless you want the even more low saturated look of the 400T.

In any case I don't really see what is the connection to using an open iris, in any of those stock you will need do use ND filters, so you can shoot on whatever F stop you want on every one of them, I think grain wise the 250T will be the less grainy.

Hope I'm helping,

Cheers,

Oron.

P.S- I'm from Tel-Aviv, you can PM me if you like and I will try to help you more.

hey everyone

I did a short with the eterna 250T and loved it. We shot indoors, outdoors, night and day. Exterior day, the stock showed very little grain and rendered beautiful skin tones. I would recommend it for your single stock. Outdoors with an 85, the asa is 160, rate it at 100 or even 80 and it will amaze you. If you really want saturation and a wider aperture, try the 160T, it is sharper and has higher contrast and saturation. You may also want to use the 64D stock, it is the closest thing to the old 7245, has great contrast and snappy colors with minimal grain. This would make a great outdoor stock used in concert with the 160T or 250T for indoor stuff. People say that Fuji is lower in saturation, but that is relative and can be controlled by production design and during the scanning if you go that route. I really dig Fuji stock and sing it praises every chance I get. Good luck and please keep us posted.

I did a short with the eterna 250T and loved it. We shot indoors, outdoors, night and day. Exterior day, the stock showed very little grain and rendered beautiful skin tones. I would recommend it for your single stock. Outdoors with an 85, the asa is 160, rate it at 100 or even 80 and it will amaze you. If you really want saturation and a wider aperture, try the 160T, it is sharper and has higher contrast and saturation. You may also want to use the 64D stock, it is the closest thing to the old 7245, has great contrast and snappy colors with minimal grain. This would make a great outdoor stock used in concert with the 160T or 250T for indoor stuff. People say that Fuji is lower in saturation, but that is relative and can be controlled by production design and during the scanning if you go that route. I really dig Fuji stock and sing it praises every chance I get. Good luck and please keep us posted.

I just shot some Fuji '22 64D, '83 400T and '72 500T, nice stocks. '22 definitely punchy, like Kodak '45, yes or like push processed '01. 400T is punchier than 500T, grain is about the same. 500T less contrast of the three. I got some '53 250T and '43 160T I am looking forward to using.

Fuji stocks look really different than Kodak, so there can be a bit of a shock if you are used to the latter. I am finally weaning myself from the big K and there was a bit of a shock with the grain of 400T and 500T. But they really come alive, with a very organic quality to them. You got to watch them from a distance. I was too close to the monitor and was dismayed. I stepped away from the monitor and was surprised how the footage came alive. I am getting to like them more and more. Certainly, the 64D sharp-grained stock I am fondest of.