CP16a Dodgy Shutter? Roll Bars?

grant mcphee

Hello,

I tried a (very non-scientific) test to see if I could get an image from a really dodgy CP16a I bought.

I developed a few frames of a chart and a round ikea light in some d76 to see if it was worth carrying out any further (more professional) tests.

There is a really odd 45 degree flare/lightleak throughout.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? The camera is 24fps and was shooting a 50hz so I thought it might have been a rollbar, but it really does not look like one. Is it a dodgy shutter?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• Premium Member

Hi Grant, I'ts not rollbar...lines would be changing position between frames. Could be a bad lens interior that's spewing light from a misaligned group 2 element block. Could also be that the lens/prism/viewfinder block has become unglued. Take the lens off and hold it up to the light and look through the front element. If you see some freaky light separation where the prism splits off to the viewfinder, then that's the problem. It will need reglueing with optical cement.

Thanks Bernie. I tried the lens on my Bolex - everything came out fine. I tested the cp16 again out doors, incase it was a flare problem but just got the same resuly. I'd unfortunately used up all the cp16 test film so could not try that on the Bolex (though it does not look like a film problem, although it was very o.o.d.). Seems like the cp16?

• Premium Member

Yeah Grant, must be the camera. It's not a loss of loop/registration problem because your images don't smear. Could be crazy shutter or something reflecting onto the film from inside the camera. Did you check timing....when the claw starts to pull down is the shutter closing. You can inch the camera and look in from the door side. I'll keep thinkin'

Your picture shows fogging extends across the whole width of the film including the sprocket hole area which shows it is not caused by the lens but is happening either inside the camera chamber or the mag. But it does happen precisely at every frame so it is when the film is moving intermittently. This can only be in the area of gate or the top and bottom loops. I suspect light is exiting the lens and entering the inside cavity of the camera's lens mount and somehow finding it's way to where the claw mechanism contacts the film. Since the claw is highly shiny chrome plated, it would deflect light to the area just below the pressure plate where the film is still traveling intermittently.

Can you post pictures of the camera's gate and the inside of the lens mount.

I have a feeling some part is missing that is allowing light to enter.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Edited by Jean-Louis Seguin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
oh, here is a link to the picture:

http://flickr.com/photos/33094657@N08/3292699891/

Hello Grant,

It looks to me like your camera could be missing the light shield. It is a stretched "u" shaped plastic piece that covers the gap between the circular part of the camera that has the actual "c" mount, and the body itself. It covers the part not already covered by the sound muffler. Either that, or it may be shutter smear, you can check for shutter smear by inching a piece of film marked with xxx's and looking through the front of the camera with the lens removed.

Good luck with your CP16!

Ken Hale

Thanks for your help guys.

I've managed to get a refund on the camera now as it seems there are so many things wrong with it.

It's a shame as I really liked it - they seem like great cameras for the price (well, when they work).

So I'm on the look-out for a cheap CP16 or ACL.

Thanks