NEW Demo Reel online

Well my latest demo reel is up.

I update my reel every couple months, so alot of you may of already seen some of my stuff?

But I like to keep it fresh,and I can use some feed back on this one?

Overall I think its my best reel,but I think it does have some problems, so if you guys can watch it and lay it to me straight, then I'll try to see if I can improve it?

or if its good? then great,saves me a lot of work ;)

Thanks

Visit My Website

How did you achieve the color in that second shot, the tracking with the yellow and blue?

Hey

For the yellow background I used Rosco Vittorio storraro Yellow gel, I bounced the light off the ceiling and flooded the background with it, I also had it behind the bar shooting up from the ground back lighting the smoke.

The blue is a mix of Half CTB with cyan 15, which I had coming from down the stairs and behind the camera and from the right of the bar.

The club also had some house lights, which I kept dimmed down and it just gave me some ambiance, as well as some other club lights.

for an actual nightclub, there was very few club lights in the location?

I also had a strobe unit attached to the dolly, which gave out blue light

Ive noticed that in many people's reels they jump from one shot to the next not paying attention to the fact that they should be telling a story about their style. Your reel is very stylized and I feel its distracting going to and from one piece to the next. You should try to group together your projects within your reel to make it more concise and progressive.

Ive noticed that in many people's reels they jump from one shot to the next not paying attention to the fact that they should be telling a story about their style. Your reel is very stylized and I feel its distracting going to and from one piece to the next. You should try to group together your projects within your reel to make it more concise and progressive.

Hmm an older reel I did, some one told me to break it up more?

So are you saying I should keep all the different films separate from one another? keep one film at the begining, then move on to the next one?

Basically yeah that's what I'm saying. I mean its easier to see the progression and the way you think as a filmmaker when you see a sequencial reel like that but there are different schools of thought. Heres a good example IMO

Basically yeah that's what I'm saying. I mean its easier to see the progression and the way you think as a filmmaker when you see a sequencial reel like that but there are different schools of thought. Heres a good example IMO

Ive always been told to make sure your DP demo reel shows lots of variety, and keeps the viewer interested.

I was more worried my reel had to much nightclub footage?

The link you gave me, I thought the cinematography was good,but the reel it self was boring

And I don't really see how that is considered a narrative dp reel, I mean it seemed like the guy just took half a scene right out of the film, and removed the dialog and put down some music.

I know cinematography is telling a story with images,and how those images move the story along, but to try and incorporate a story into the DOP reel,seems like a bad idea to me?

I would be afraid the viewer might not notice the cinematography?

maybe Im wrong?

But thanks rob for the advice, I'll still take it into consideration.

Edited by Daniel Carruthers

Beautiful. One shot looks soft- spectacled guy on bed with photo. Love the b/w, gangster in a wheelchair. REALLY love the short skateboarder clip.

Ive always been told to make sure your DP demo reel shows lots of variety, and keeps the viewer interested.

I was more worried my reel had to much nightclub footage?

The link you gave me, I thought the cinematography was good,but the reel it self was boring

And I don't really see how that is considered a narrative dp reel, I mean it seemed like the guy just took half a scene right out of the film, and removed the dialog and put down some music.

I know cinematography is telling a story with images,and how those images move the story along, but to try and incorporate a story into the DOP reel,seems like a bad idea to me?

I would be afraid the viewer might not notice the cinematography?

maybe Im wrong?

But thanks rob for the advice, I'll still take it into consideration.

Daniel,

Good work.

I just watched it one time and felt it a little long and probably would cut it more fast paced (that's maybe because I work too much with promotional spots).

The other thing is the first shot, in my opinion should be more catching.

I support the idea of variety because portrait multiple skills for potentially different projects except that you are trying to project specialized skills.

Good luck and keep the good work,

Ricky

Daniel,

Good work.

I just watched it one time and felt it a little long and probably would cut it more fast paced (that's maybe because I work too much with promotional spots).

The other thing is the first shot, in my opinion should be more catching.

I support the idea of variety because portrait multiple skills for potentially different projects except that you are trying to project specialized skills.

Good luck and keep the good work,

Ricky

oh man the 1st shot is my favorite:(

Thanks for the imput, its funny Im getting a lot of polar opposite opinions here

someone says make the edits longer, then you say make edits shorter and faster

haha I think Im gonna leave my reel as it is for now, until the next one?

thanks for you thoughts:)