70mm rental

Justin Simpson

I have this school project where I need to budget a 70mm commercial and I'm having the hardest time trying to find a camera rental house for 70mm. If anybody knows a good one please let me know.

I am only going to give you a hint (after all, it's *your* homework ;-) ) but someone on here, think it was Max, mentioned that the Arri 565 or 765 (whatever their latest 65mm camera is) was actually ~10% *cheaper* than a comparable 35mm package.

Remember, only the prints are 70mm. Filmstock in the camera is 65mm.

Remember, too, that not everything is on the internet. Get a phone and call some houses in NYC, LA etc.

For stock, I would call up Kodak. They'd be more than happy to talk about selling you 65mm film.

Good luck!

also only CFI in LA and Arane gulliver in Paris will process your neg.

i strongly recomand 765 arri as a cam

but "film school and 70mm" doest match to me budget wise

why don't you work on a clean S16 film instead it will be more usefull in your coming career

my two cents

Delorme, it is a budget exercise he is doing, not an actual student film.

I wonder why Fuji doesn't make 65mm. . .

• Premium Member
I wonder why Fuji doesn't make 65mm. . .

Fuji makes 65mm film -- the 3D IMAX movie "Wings of Courage" was shot on 65mm Fuji. But they don't stock it, it has to be special ordered, and probably the orders have to be large.

Panavision has 65mm cameras.

Fuji makes 65mm film -- the 3D IMAX movie "Wings of Courage" was shot on 65mm Fuji. But they don't stock it, it has to be special ordered, and probably the orders have to be large.

Good to know David. I was surprised to hear otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, do any companies offer B&W stocks in 65mm as well?

• Premium Member
Good to know David. I was surprised to hear otherwise.

Just out of curiosity, do any companies offer B&W stocks in 65mm as well?

Same deal -- Kodak will make it as a special order.

Did you know that David Lean originally wanted to make "Doctor Zhivago" in 65mm b&w? Same goes for Kubrick and "Full Metal Jacket" -- apparently they shot the first week in 65mm b&w and then Kubrick changed his mind and went with 35mm color.

Interesting about Fuji still producing it by order.

Funny story:

So I was talking to a buddy a year back about the 65mm production process in today's age. He said he recalled a colleague of his who knew someone who worked in the Fuji warehouse and when they stopped producing 65mm gave him literally boxes of raw stock, and he's keeping it in a freezer until he can afford to shoot it.

On the Berlinale, Sepp Reidinger from ARRI told the audience that their 65mm-cameras (765) cost as much to rent 35mm and they have a special deal with Kodak, they sell 65mm-film-stock for the same price as 35mm (per meter).

The main budget factor on "the International" according to Reidinger and Tom Tykwer was the 4k DI for the 65mm-sequences instead of 2k for the rest... :blink:

I don't know if that helpful without any price list!?