The Tree of Life (2009)

The Tree of Life

Directed by Terrence Malick

Cinematography by Emmanuel Lubezki

VFX artist Mike Fink says the following in Empire magazine:

"We're just starting work on a project for Terrence Malick, animating dinosaurs, the film is The Tree of Life, starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. It'll be showing in IMAX -- so the dinosaurs will actually be life size -- and the shots of the creatures will be long and lingering."

• Premium Member

Another very interesting thing about all of this is who has been hired to help out.

The upcoming Terrence Malick film, The Tree of Life, starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt, will allegedly be released as two films: “one will be the regular Tree of Life drama which they call, ‘massive’ and then they’ll be an IMAX-only half ‘depicting the birth and death of the universe.’” Apparently AICN know this because they talked to special effects legend Douglas Trumbull, who has been hired to make dinosaurs for the IMAX film.

No doubt. I expect that after watching it I will lose the desire to see any other films for at least one year

Heh. Yeah. I wonder if they will let me just move in to the IMAX theater... ;)

is it an effect from "the dark knight syndrome" or how to make people go to movie theatre rather than whach a dvd in the coach?

Malick has been planning this film, which used to be called "Q", for thirty years, so I doubt Dark Knight had anything to do with it.

• 5 weeks later...

Update from digitalspy:

Brad Pitt's upcoming project with Terrence Malick, The Tree Of Life, will reportedly be presented as three different movies.

Speaking about the film to Empire, visual effects guru Mike Fink (The Golden Compass, Tropic Thunder) said that he has just started work on the ambitious project, which is being slated for release on IMAX screens.

"There's going to be a 35mm release, a shorter IMAX version, and then they're talking about another shorter 35mm version which isn't quite the IMAX version but not the feature length one either," he explained.

"We're animating dinosaurs, but it's not Jurassic Park. The attempt is to treat it as if somehow a camera wound up in the middle of these periods when dinosaurs roamed the earth and creatures first started to emerge from the sea onto the land. The first mammals appearing.

"We're doing a number of creatures all seriously scientifically based. I think when it's finished it'll be something that's referred to for years."

Malick, a notoriously slow director, has allegedly revamped a movie he was working on in the '70s (titled Q) into Tree Of Life. Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain co-star with Pitt in the movie, which involves a young man in the US Midwest who grows up to become a disenchanted adult.

• 1 year later...