K-3 Super-16 conversion question

Kit Carruthers

Hey Everyone,

I did a search for this and I found some conflicting answers so I thought I'd make it a post heading and ask again.

I just bought a super-16 converted K-3 with a re-centered lens. Will the stock (Meteor) lens cover the entire S16 frame even at its most wide?

How is this going to effect what I see in the viewfinder? Is there a conversion that widens the viewfinder to replicate the actual S16 frame that is recorded?

I'm sure someone here has tested these things and it would be awesome to know in advance.

Thanks!

-K.

Edited by Kit Carruthers

• Premium Member

Do a test with the meteor lens. Shoot 17mm, 20mm & 24mm on the zoom to see if you get a vignette.

Without a re-centered lens there was always a little curved vignetting below 22mm or so. The re-centering will help but you may still see some rounded edges at 17mm. Hopefully it will be even on both sides so you know the re-centering ring worked the way it should have.

As far as the viewfinder, all that can be done is to drill it out more but it's not perfect. Based on the cost of the camera I'd just do some testing and get used to the viewfinder the way it is. You can "guess" a little bit on the edges.

As far as the viewfinder, all that can be done is to drill it out more but it's not perfect. Based on the cost of the camera I'd just do some testing and get used to the viewfinder the way it is. You can "guess" a little bit on the edges.

Will, where within the camera would I do the drilling? If I remove the optics at the viewfinder/eyepiece will I have a straight shot in toward the obstruction, or is there more work to be done toward the front of the body?

I bought a camera that was already re-centered, so I'm not sure of the actual procedure. It came from an ebay store in the Ukraine that specializes in Russian cameras. My guess is that converted K-3s are now more popular due to the HD 16:9 standard, so they're probably converting all of their cameras before they sell them.

It would be great, though, if someone came up with a way to convert the viewfinder in a similar way. It kind of sucks to not know exactly what you're getting. Since super-16 is 20% more negative area, wouldn't it be simple to just expand the mask exactly 10% on each side?

I've heard on here that when you re-center the lens, the Meteor covers the entire frame even at 17mm, but I'll have to test that to be sure.