Arri 16M with Tobin TMX-22

Steve Goodloe

I am looking into buying a Tobin TXM-22 for my Arri 16M but I have heard reports of the motor being so loud that it really didn't help because you couldn't record sound because of the noise. I was wondering if people had experience with it or any input. Seems to me there is no reason to buy it if your going to defeat the purpose of having it. I know the M is a loud camera anyway. So I guess I'm wondering if it is going to make more or less noise than a regular constant speed motor?

Edited by Steve Goodloe

• Premium Member
I am looking into buying a Tobin TXM-22 for my Arri 16M but I have heard reports of the motor being so loud that it really didn't help because you couldn't record sound because of the noise. I was wondering if people had experience with it or any input. Seems to me there is no reason to buy it if your going to defeat the purpose of having it. I know the M is a loud camera anyway. So I guess I'm wondering if it is going to make more or less noise than a regular constant speed motor?

I've used the TXM-22 on the Arriflex 16M camera. Yeah, it's noisy, but the 16M is an MOS camera, so of course it's noisy. Is it any louder than the ARRI constant speed motor, maybe a little.

What's the advantage of using the TXM-22 on the 16M if it's noisy? Well, consistent exposure is one. The ARRI constant speed motor is not terribly accurate, and the ARRI variable speed motor is usually all over the map as far as speed goes, it fluctuates quite a bit during each take. So the TXM-22 runs at a very constant 24 fps, or whatever crystal speed you set it at. The only speed that I have found to be dodgy is the 6 fps. The others were spot on when run off a 12 volt battery. The TXM-22 also runs in reverse (not the TXM-22a though) and when I have checked in the past, the reverse speeds are dead on consistent as well. So the Tobin TXM-22 motor makes your Arriflex 16M a very steady consistent speed camera in forward and reverse, something that unfortunately can't be said for either of the ARRI motors designed for the camera.

I see that as the biggest advantage of the Tobin motor.

Best,

-Tim