funding a indepent film

I have been writing a script for a movie for the past year now.

I am a student still but i was wandering how i could get funding for the movie?

I was thinking i could just make an independent and then bring it up to Hollywood to get it redone a professionalized.

kinda how Because Of Win Dixie got made

The most common source of film funding is a rich relative.

If you don't have one of those, my suggestion is (always) to start by shooting something that you can afford (usually a short) and getting it into the festivals. As you build your skills and your reputation, the money will start to find you.

• Premium Member

Other forms of fund raising can include raffling off something of value... buy a macpro or something and sell ticked for $10/each or whatever you need to, at a big block-party or the like. It's an anecdotal proof, but a guy I know here in Philadelphia did something similar (not a computer, it was a HD TV) and pocketed some money.

I mean, in truth, you've gotta sell your investors something.. and people giving you money are investors. So you either sell 'em your script, or you sell your stuff in a yard sale.

thanks for the response.

Ya i was planning on making a short once i get my HD camera. my current is a POS hand cam with a blue dot on the recording.. its weird.

Any way i would need more practice directing and filming shorts so plan on seeing it in the critique forum in a couple months :).

• Premium Member

I have a good friend (from Philly, Adrian, maybe it's the same guy :lol:) who's working on funding a feature right now. He's held a lot of screenings of his other work and asked for donations and investments. He has got a lot of both. Unfortunately an investor for a couple hundred thousand dollars had to pull out when this whole stock market slump crept up so he's kind of gone backward several steps.

• 4 months later...
I have been writing a script for a movie for the past year now.

I am a student still but i was wandering how i could get funding for the movie?

I was thinking i could just make an independent and then bring it up to Hollywood to get it redone a professionalized.

kinda how Because Of Win Dixie got made

Austin,

Landon Parks here from Firestorm Features.

Have you produced your film yet? I would be interested in looking at it, but it needs to be a pretty complete package.

Let me know if your interested. Keep in mind that our films will be pretty low budget (under $200k), so it would only be made if we could realistically do it for under that.

Thanks!