Vittorio Storaro interview

Joe Riggs

In Cinematography Style Storaro states he is a “cinematographer not a director of photography”. It has been a while since I watched it but I recall he sounded like he had some disdain for the latter term "director of photography" and I was curious if anyone knows why he prefers the former?

• Premium Member
In Cinematography Style Storaro states he is a “cinematographer not a director of photography”. It has been a while since I watched it but I recall he sounded like he had some disdain for the latter term "director of photography" and I was curious if anyone knows why he prefers the former?

He doesn't like the term "Director of Photography" -- he doesn't think the cinematographer is a director -- there is only one on a movie -- and he probably doesn't like the fact that it says "of Photography" instead of "of Cinematography" since photography and cinematography are different terms.

He likes to say that cinematography means "writing with light" -- though the truth is that that's what photography means, "light writing". You could say that cinematography means "writing with moving images", "kine" being Greek for "motion."

I think he feels that "Director of Photography" was a grandiose term that the unions created to make the cinematographer seem more important.