The Blackmail Blackout...my latest and greatest

So everyone, I know that I am not a big poster here but I am working on becoming more involved and sharing in the knowledge pool that this forum has. I figured that I would learn some more about the style of lighting that I want my pieces to have so that I have something to show to back up my statements. I finally shot something that I am proud of. Please take a look and "constructively" criticize as I love hearing what other people think or how they feel about the piece.

LINK!...Enjoy.

• Premium Member

Why must Facebook be in all aspects of my life..

Lighting wise, it's not bad for early attempts. There's nothing inherently bad in the cinematography, but it's just not doing anything for me. It might just be personal preference, but I'd've liked to have seen more motivated source lighting. Like you have the journalist in an open bight room, but he has a desk lamp... what if he had a deep red colored room, from, perhaps, I don't know, his curtains, and that desk lamp was under lighting him.. something like that. Make it certainly more ominous for that scene, you know?

Or her morning scene... hard to tell what time of day it is, so we don't know if she was sleeping in late (if so why does her alarm go off?) or waking up very early.

These are just my observations thereof. But, as I said, it's certainly isn't horrible, you know; just needs a bit more work.

Why must Facebook be in all aspects of my life..

Lighting wise, it's not bad for early attempts. There's nothing inherently bad in the cinematography, but it's just not doing anything for me. It might just be personal preference, but I'd've liked to have seen more motivated source lighting. Like you have the journalist in an open bight room, but he has a desk lamp... what if he had a deep red colored room, from, perhaps, I don't know, his curtains, and that desk lamp was under lighting him.. something like that. Make it certainly more ominous for that scene, you know?

Or her morning scene... hard to tell what time of day it is, so we don't know if she was sleeping in late (if so why does her alarm go off?) or waking up very early.

These are just my observations thereof. But, as I said, it's certainly isn't horrible, you know; just needs a bit more work.

Thanks Adrian. I appreciate the honesty and the detail in which the lighting would be more interesting. I have gotten some other feedback about their needing to be more contrast between the talent and the background. I will be working on that as well as trying to find more interesting ways of pulling off emotion with lighting.

Sometimes feedback can be too much to take in at once...then I remember that I have so much time to get better at it and every project that I do from now on will get better and better. :lol: