SFX GLOWING AN ACTOR

Does anyone know how I can make an actor appear to be glowing? I was thinking about spraying them with fluorescent color and filming under a blacklight?? I'm filming my first independent low-budget film.

Help! LOL

Thanks

Rob

• Premium Member
Does anyone know how I can make an actor appear to be glowing? I was thinking about spraying them with fluorescent color and filming under a blacklight?? I'm filming my first independent low-budget film.

Help! LOL

Thanks

Rob

You'd want a pretty strong UV light to get enough exposure. Most people go to this company for the lights and paints:

http://www.wildfirefx.com/

Otherwise, I'd consider painting them white and hitting them with a spot light and put a diffusion filter on the lens.

In addition to creating the effect in camera you can also enhance or even create the glowing effect in post. Most editing programs like Adobe Premiere, Final Cut allow you to choose different compositing modes. So you can layer the track over itself, then using Gaussian blur for instance and then setting the compositing mode to something like screen or vivid light. Then adjust the opacity to set overall level of the effect. If you want to limit the effect to just the actor you need to add a mask, preferably before adding the blur.