candle lighting effect

hello

im about to shoot my diploma film

we require a specific candle lighting effect

the scene is such -

its dark and the room is only lit by a single candle source.

the candle is kept next to the bed and two people are inside a quilt. they form various formations and the shadows are thrown on the wall

the shadows grow larger is size as the shot progresses

even the light slowly turns out to be more red from yellow as the shot progresses

ive thought of creating a cloth net with various patterns and rotating it in front of the light to get a slight candle light effect. the light will be placed low, so the shadows run up on the wall

slowly i was planning to move the light closer to the bed, so that the shadows grow

as far as making it warmer is concerned, i was planning to have 2 lights instead

one with a red gel on it

slowly the yellow light dims and the red light is brought up

would this work?

or would u suggest me something else to try?

thanks

hello

im about to shoot my diploma film

we require a specific candle lighting effect

the scene is such -

its dark and the room is only lit by a single candle source.

the candle is kept next to the bed and two people are inside a quilt. they form various formations and the shadows are thrown on the wall

the shadows grow larger is size as the shot progresses

even the light slowly turns out to be more red from yellow as the shot progresses

ive thought of creating a cloth net with various patterns and rotating it in front of the light to get a slight candle light effect. the light will be placed low, so the shadows run up on the wall

slowly i was planning to move the light closer to the bed, so that the shadows grow

as far as making it warmer is concerned, i was planning to have 2 lights instead

one with a red gel on it

slowly the yellow light dims and the red light is brought up

would this work?

or would u suggest me something else to try?

thanks

ok i guess this question was not framed too properly

the situation is such

i am showing a shadow on the wall

now the light has to change its color frm yellow to red

and i want to avoid using two lights as i am not looking for double shadows

• Premium Member
i thought about that

but i think the change between yellow and red would not be gradual

im looking for more of a gradual change in color

You can make it gradual with a little bit of time and some scotch tape. I've done color cues before where you cut a zig-zag pattern in each gel that interlock like fingers. The longer you make the interlocking "fingers", the easier it is to make a slow, subtle cue. It takes a little bit of time but, since you're planning this effect well in advance, that shouldn't be a problem. I found that the fingers have to be pretty skinny for the light to all mix properly and not result in bands of color. I made mine about 1" at the widest and they tapered to points. The fingers were about a foot long.