Lenses and Red.

howdy,

i'm prepping a red shot short in the next few weeks and have some questions about lenses.

i recently shot a feature with the red and zeiss distagons.

for this film, the director wants the camera close to the actors, to enhance the feelings of closeness and exaggerate the feeling of isolation and foreboding when cutting to wider angles. his favourite lens is a 28mm and something tells me we won't throw on anything longer than a 50mm, expect for inserts.

also, the director wants the picture as sharp as possible, to really emphasize facial details and overall textures.

so i'm wondering if someone can recommend some primes that may be good for this aesthetic... fast, sharp, closer to subjects and wider lenses (no distortion of course) and good contrast retention when flared.

thanks all!

Edited by ryan knight

howdy,

i'm prepping a red shot short in the next few weeks and have some questions about lenses.

i recently shot a feature with the red and zeiss distagons.

for this film, the director wants the camera close to the actors, to enhance the feelings of closeness and exaggerate the feeling of isolation and foreboding when cutting to wider angles. his favourite lens is a 28mm and something tells me we won't throw on anything longer than a 50mm, expect for inserts.

also, the director wants the picture as sharp as possible, to really emphasize facial details and overall textures.

so i'm wondering if someone can recommend some primes that may be good for this aesthetic... fast, sharp, closer to subjects and wider lenses (no distortion of course) and good contrast retention when flared.

thanks all!

Sounds like you need to look at either Arri Standard Speed, Arri Ultra Primes, or Cooke S4's. All three are basically T2, sharp, and I believe all three are fairly close focus (2') Ultra Primes and S4's are going to be better with contrast with flaring, but of course their rental price is going be at least double the Standard Speeds.

Matthew

• Premium Member

Matthew nailed it. If you're on a tight budget, standards are nice. If you can spend a little more money, I think ultra primes are worth the price jump. You can get ultra primes down to 10mm which looks just short of "see the operator's nose" wide.

• Premium Member

The Master Primes are the sharpest and fastest and all the widest lenses focus at 14". My second choice would be super speeds if you're on a budget. S4's would be my last choice since they're considered to be a bit softer.

• Premium Member
The Master Primes are the sharpest and fastest and all the widest lenses focus at 14". My second choice would be super speeds if you're on a budget. S4's would be my last choice since they're considered to be a bit softer.

Brad's right. The master prime series is the sharpest and is very, very good wide open. They're also a step more expensive than ultraprimes and I've yet to work on anything where the gain in cost was deemed important enough not to just get ultraprimes.

Brad's right. The master prime series is the sharpest and is very, very good wide open. They're also a step more expensive than ultraprimes and I've yet to work on anything where the gain in cost was deemed important enough not to just get ultraprimes.

great.

i was hoping the majority of y'all would say master primes.

thanks!

• Premium Member

I've very rarely been on a show that can afford master primes. I love them to death but, unless I know the show's budget is quite generous, I go straight to suggesting ultra primes if I'm asked about it. You'll be happy with them.

It has been said that the Ultra Primes 'mesh' better (image-wise) with the RED ONE compared to the Master Primes. I have yet to test this out myself,

but possibly you're not losing out if you can't afford MPs. Sorry I don't have specific examples. Maybe someone who's shot with both on the RED can elaborate.

• Premium Member
It has been said that the Ultra Primes 'mesh' better (image-wise) with the RED ONE compared to the Master Primes.

You'd have to know the MTF's of the lenses, which aren't on the Zeiss web site that I could find. It could be that they have more resolution than the 4K sensor needs.

-- J.S.

Arri Standard or Super Speeds. If you go with Super Speeds, try not to shoot WFO--T2.8 would be preferable for what

you're after.

+1

You could always take a hit on your rate and get ultra primes. I dont think you understand how awesome those lenses are!

Also, minimum focus is certainly important, But are you really going to have your characters on the edge of minimum focus at a t2/2.8? That's a whole bag of problems.

when it comes down to it, the producer is going to make me choose between the 1.3s and the superspeeds. as i mentioned above, i used the 1.3s, but am looking for something sharper. the majority of the film (all but one scene) is to be shot day EXT. so i don't necessarily need that extra stoppage that the 1.3s offer over the superspeeds, but will the superspeeds render a sharper image than the 1.3s?

thanks all.

• Premium Member
when it comes down to it, the producer is going to make me choose between the 1.3s and the superspeeds. as i mentioned above, i used the 1.3s, but am looking for something sharper. the majority of the film (all but one scene) is to be shot day EXT. so i don't necessarily need that extra stoppage that the 1.3s offer over the superspeeds, but will the superspeeds render a sharper image than the 1.3s?

thanks all.

I'm not sure what you mean. Superspeeds are T1.3 lenses.

Ryan, I'm sure your rental house has both Standards and Superspeeds. You should go there and throw both sets on a

lens projector and see which one you like more. You could even do a small test in the prep area or outside in the parking lot to better

inform your decision.

Even though you may have already shot with both, testing them side by side, looking for differences or similarities will be

educational and allow the most confident decision.

Since it sounds like the director has a lot of specific imagery in mind, you could even invite him along to the test.

Ryan, I'm sure your rental house has both Standards and Superspeeds. You should go there and throw both sets on a

lens projector and see which one you like more. You could even do a small test in the prep area or outside in the parking lot to better

inform your decision.

Even though you may have already shot with both, testing them side by side, looking for differences or similarities will be

educational and allow the most confident decision.

Since it sounds like the director has a lot of specific imagery in mind, you could even invite him along to the test.

t'is the plan.

best everyone, thanks.

• 3 months later...