Tripod for Super 8 Camera

Steven Boldt

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a heavy duty tripod for a Super 8 Camera? My Nizo 3048 is faliing over with my cheapo Best Buy tripod. Looking at Amazon reviews of tripods it looks like a lot that are advertized as heavy duty really aren't.

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a heavy duty tripod for a Super 8 Camera? My Nizo 3048 is faliing over with my cheapo Best Buy tripod. Looking at Amazon reviews of tripods it looks like a lot that are advertized as heavy duty really aren't.

Amazon is hardly a serious equipment supplier.

You need a frim tripod with a pan-head or video-head for at least 4lbs.

try a Gitzo 1340 with 2380 fluid head or a 1270 pan head. good for photography too although the 1270 doesn't go backward enough if you want to shoot something in the sky or on high buildings.

Guest Glenn Brady

Miller Junior fluid head tripods were designed expressly for Super 8 cameras. Although no longer available new, they appear regularly at eBay. They're compact, lightweight, and more than adequate. Several kinds were made - some with wood legs and some with metal - and the best feature a ball-leveling mount for the head.

The Gitzo is a bit out of my price range. Looks good though. I'll see if I can get a used Bogen 501 off ebay as it seems to function about the same. I would think Super 8 cameras would benefit with something heavy and solid.

Thanks,

Steve