Showreels and Apple DVD player

Stuart Brereton

I'm in the process of putting together a new reel. I've spent a bit of time trying to get my menus a little slicker than they have been in the past:

dpmenu.jpg

That's how it looks in DVD studio 3 and VLC Player. However, in Apple DVD player, it looks like this:

dpmenucrop.jpg

This is a huge amount of cropping. Strangely, it crops less in full screen mode...

What I need to know is if this is something I'm doing wrong (which I doubt), some obscure setting in my copy of DVD player, or what?

This is a real issue for me, as I absolutely don't want my work being viewed by potential clients with this kind of cropping.

Any ideas, anyone?

Guest Stephen Murphy
It seems that it's a bug in DVD player, as sometimes it displays properly, and sometimes not. Thinking back, I've had a similar problem with commercial DVDs in the past.

Gotta love Apple...

The Apple DVD always manages to do a terrible job of displaying any dvd i put in there.

• Premium Member
... However, in Apple DVD player, it looks like this: ... This is a huge amount of cropping. Strangely, it crops less in full screen mode...

Hi Stuart,

Do you have DVD Player's "Video Zoom" feature turned on by mistake? (Window menu | Video Zoom | On/Off checkbox)

All the best,

- Peter

The Apple DVD always manages to do a terrible job of displaying any dvd i put in there.

So, it's not just me? I was really bummed after watching one of my projects on my iMac. The same film looks quite grand on my standard-def TV. The same can be said for my reel. The problem is, I think most people will just pop the DVD's into their computers ...

Any ideas, anyone?

Without looking at your systems settings, other than the zoom, its difficult to say what may be causing the cropping.

What version of OS X are you using? DVD Player in Tiger did not de-interlace video as well as other software players. That was improved in Leopard.

So, it's not just me? I was really bummed after watching one of my projects on my iMac. The same film looks quite grand on my standard-def TV. The same can be said for my reel. The problem is, I think most people will just pop the DVD's into their computers ...

The LCD screen on the iMac has a much higher pixel density and better color reproduction than a standard television. At full screen the iMac shows the warts of standard definition video. At the very least you need to watch 720P full screen on an iMac. If you have the 24" screen preferably you want 1080.

Yeah, I'm just pointing out that on high density computer screens you have to play standard def video at its native resolution to get a true sense of its look. In DVD Player there is a normal size setting. Most of the time at full screen it will look like crap.

I recall when I was authoring my DVD, that an HD or Blue Ray version was way out of reach.