Pulling Focus

Guest 22west

The gate on the Krasnogorsk 3 can be widened to convert the camera to S-16.

http://www.k3camera.com/k3/k3s16mm.stm

It is not truly an S16 conversion as zooms are not possible (or not recommended) since the lens is no longer centered on the gate.

Although I can't really visualize it, I have heard zooming creates a "wierd effect" - my question is whether this effect will be present when focus pulling.

The conversion mentioned does not re-center the lens, thus the center of the lens will move during a zoom. This 'weird effect' will only occur if zoom is moved during a take. If the Zoom setting remains constant, there is no effect. (EG, if you zoom during a shot, the center will move as well).

The gate on the Krasnogorsk 3 can be widened to convert the camera to S-16.

http://www.k3camera.com/k3/k3s16mm.stm

It is not truly an S16 conversion as zooms are not possible (or not recommended) since the lens is no longer centered on the gate.

Although I can't really visualize it, I have heard zooming creates a "wierd effect" - my question is whether this effect will be present when focus pulling.

If I may answer the question on lens 'breathing' (I am not Phil).

Breathing is when the image in the lens shrinks or grows (kind of like a slight very slight zoom) when you change focus....the more expensive the lens, usually, the less the lens will 'breath'. This is one of the main problems I often see in TV broadcast lenses. There are often few abriations in these lenses, however when you pull focus it looks as if you are doing a slight zoom. When breathing is the lenes biggest problem (and hopefully it will be) there are several ways around it; you can use the lens as a variable prime and simply not zoom; or you can try and trick the lens using the lenses macro focus you can pull focus from the macro ring (this will look great, however it only works on lenses with a macro focus adjust, and in the wider end of the lens).

Feel free, to add to or shoot down my definition and my 'low budget solutions' I welcome anyone's experiences and input.

Peace,

JD

www.cineshooter.com