Tim Orr- George Washington

Marc Levy

Does anyone have info. on the specifics of the filming of this movie? I am especially interested in the golden tone of many of the Ext. Day shots, and would like to know whether filtration on the lens or gels were used to achieve this look. I'm thinking gels, as the color is much more noticable on the skin than in the sky, but am not sure. Also, it appears that some form of diffusion filters were used.

Marc Levy

• Premium Member

Tim Orr used an antique suede filter for the exteriors. The film was shot on a variety of Fuji shortends. They also got anamorphic lenses from Joe Dunton (adapted Cooke S3s). The whole film was done on a budget of about $50K, proving that one can shoot 35mm on a really low budget if one really wants to.

• Premium Member

I don't think AC covered it, I looked up my old issues. But I remember reading an article on the film somewhere, probably on the net. There are several interviews with Tim Orr if you do a search on google. He spoke at the London Film Festival this year, which was very interesting.

Thanks, Max, I'll google it. The Criterion DVD has a commentary with David Goron Green, Tim Orr and the lead actor Paul Schneider, some little bits of tech talk in there and overall fairly interesting. I seem to recall that most of the film was shot on Fuji 500T (nights and interiors I believe) and the day exteriors were shot on Fuji 125T. Somebody donated a couple cans of 5279 that they used for one scene, I believe they had something ridiculous like 200 feet of black and white stock for the last scene, one take masterpiece I guess... I like the film's look a good deal, I'm not sure the film is quite as profound as it would like to be, but it has some great performances in it.

• Premium Member
Mike, there are three excellent interviews I know of with Tim Orr that are available online. There's one the Kodak website, another with Indiewire [alongside David Gordon Green] and the last with Filmmaker magazine.

Here's the Kodak articles:

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/...torVargas.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/...2002/ncsa.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/...c2002/nyu.shtml

• Premium Member
Thanks Wendell, I'll check those out.  What did you think of the film?

I loved it. It was nice to watch a quality independent film without having a bottle of dramamine at the ready. Not only was the cinematography beautiful, but the locations and the way Green handled the direction of the young actors was praiseworthy.

I haven't seen the film that Tim Orr's cinematography is nominated for an IFP Spirit Award so I'll have to check it out. I'm also looking can't wait until they release a "Confederacy of Dunces"