First time shooting a short film with a sony HDW 750p

Guest Joao Gambino

Guest Joao Gambino

Hi i'm shooting for the first time a short film with sony HDW 750p camera

i have a scene where i shoot inside a van and my question is because it is a day scene i will use the sunlight to light it. the light will come trough the van's windows wich have curtains to block some of the light, my question is how can i balance the light so that the curtains don't burst and still have some detail inside the van.

other than that i would apreciate any advice on how to use this camera to get the best out of it, or any advice anyone can come up with

thanks a lot

Gamb

in terms of lighting it you probably have two main options. expose for the outside or expose for the vans interior.

if you want to keep both the outside and the inside at readable levels you could nd the windows but then remember that that is also cutting your interior light also. what i would do is use some bounce just off camera for the sun but this may also prove problematic if the car takes turns etc.

your best option for me would be to bring a light inside the van to augment the natural daylight outside. there are pleanty of small daylight fixtures that can be powere through the cigarette lighter output.

i would also experiment with the in-camera options, having worked with the 750 before i know there are a lot of options that you can play with to get a more natural 'film' look. these include decreasing the edge detail and boosting the colour detail i have found give rather nice rewarding results.

good luck

x