VIDEO ASSIST FOR ARRI SR II

NICK BRAMPTON

I have a very nice used Arri SRII to which I would like to add a video assist, so that I can review each shot before actually running film through the camera.

I would like something highly portable, ideally that I can attach to the camera.

The camera already has a VDO (a video tap?) installed.

Can anyone suggest what else I need to get up and running?

• Premium Member

If you already have a tap on there then you'd probably want to look into a nice small LCD batter powered field monitor. It'll attach to your tap. and you can mount it off of the top handle in many ways. Perhaps, too, you would want to split the feed somehow and run it back to a deck so you can actually record the video tap image as well while you're rolling.

While I have a tap on my SR3, honestly, I don't see the need to use it too much when you can see through the eye piece. It's useful, primarily for steadycam work, or when the camera is in a location which is inaccessible.

Of course it's hard to tell if you have a tap on your camera already, if you do not, then it's a simple matter of installing on. IIRC on the SR2, it's a J-Bar handle thing which attaches and splits the image between the viewfinder and the video tap. Visual Products has them out in Ohio and I'm sure you can find many camera facilities around you in the UK who can install this for you if you don't have it with some google searching.

• 2 months later...

Hi Adrian;

Thanks for your comments.

I have spoken to the very helpful folks at Visual Products and they have a Sony XC-999 lipstick camera kit that will hook into the Deniz tap already installed in the SRII.

Now I need something lightweight and inexpensive (preferably not a video camera) that can record and playback the signal from the Sony lipstick camera.

Any suggestions anyone ?