DP Rates: Blockbuster vs. Indie

this may have been discussed before, but i couldn't find an answer. What is a common rate for a top tier DP on a $180 million blockbuster versus the $2 million indie he/she decides to shoot? i know Janusz Kaminski probably didn't make the same rate on Indiana Jones as he did on The Diving Bell... I used to PA on big budget commercials and the DPs rates varied between $3500-$5000/10hr maybe. i heard Janusz's rate is $10 grand. not sure, but that's what i heard. now i i know rates on commercials are different from features, but i just wanna get a feel for what people get.

thanks,

Mike

• Premium Member

It's a very difficult question to answer, which is why you haven't found one in the archives. Rates are all over the map. I'm afraid you're probably not going to get a specific answer unless you offer up some specifics regarding budget and project, and even then rates will vary quite a bit.

McCoy: "Spock, do you remember what it was like being dead?"

Spock "Yes, doctor, I do."

McCoy: "Well. What was it like?"

Spock: "It would be impossible for me to describe it to you without a common point of reference."

Something similar applies here. Your mileage will vary.

• Premium Member
well, i thought the Kaminski reference was pretty specific.

Well, none of us here are named Kaminski, so we don't know what he made on either of those pictures. His rate very well may have been the same on both movies. Maybe it wasn't. I guess you could get in touch with him and ask him, but even if he told you his rates, there's probably very little relation between what he makes and what most other DP's make.