A Day on Long

• Premium Member

Hi folks,

after getting back from Cape Town here's a couple of still from my 16mm footage shot there. I'll try and start cutting it next week after looking for some music to cut it to. I hope you'll enjoy looking at it half as much as I enjoyed shooting it.

I shot 5 rolls of 7201 and 2 rolls of 7219 and had it developed and transferred to DVCAM by Soho Images at Waterfront Studios in Cape Town. They were a pleasure to deal with, so was Panavision/CT where I got the stock from.

A Day on Long - Public Facebook Photo Album

Cheers, Dave

Sweet, David! Traveling with a film camera is always a joy, unless the film goes through the X-Ray machine at the airport!

Seriously, though. The images look nice, but the lack of contrast is apparent on all but the one of the women on the sidewalk. Did you intend it that way or do you know why this is? My take is that you perhaps only paid for a one light transfer to DVCAM and that is why it looks washed out. You can add contrast later in post, of course, just curious as to why they look that way.

Would love to see the project when it is finished!!

S

• Premium Member
Sweet, David! Traveling with a film camera is always a joy, unless the film goes through the X-Ray machine at the airport!

Seriously, though. The images look nice, but the lack of contrast is apparent on all but the one of the women on the sidewalk. Did you intend it that way or do you know why this is? My take is that you perhaps only paid for a one light transfer to DVCAM and that is why it looks washed out. You can add contrast later in post, of course, just curious as to why they look that way.

Hi Saul,

yeah, that's why I had the stuff developed down there. Was about half the price it would have been here too.

You're correct on the one light to DVCAM. I'll cut the whole thing and have a nice transfer to hard disk done when done and grade it then. And I also suspect that my Switars are not that contrasty after all. But that will become more apparent in the final transfer too. And it might also have to do with me not using a matte box as I didn't get the slide block in time.

Cheers, Dave