Stephen Murphy DOP Demo Reel 2009

Guest Stephen Murphy

This was very nice. It was short and to the point. This reel is a good example of what I was saying to another forum members. Don't linger on a shot. Cut on action. Use the best part of the shot. A good example is the shot of the guy throwing his arms up. We don't see what happened before and we don't see what happened after, we just see the arms go up. Good music, great job. Students should use this as an example.

Guest Stephen Murphy
Nice, Stephen. I like the length too, I guess I've got to recut my reel now. :) Are you gonna put up an HD version?

Thanks guys - no plans to put up a HD version Satsuki - Ive only got some of the projects in HD and i wouldn't like to upscale the SD stuff. The point of this was really to act like a trailer, as Brad pointed out, to try and get people to visit my website, so the smaller SD file worked better for that. I've also got it on my DVD reel as an autoplay intro to the DVD which then leads to the more traditional Menu - im pretty happy with how it turned out!

Hey Stephen,

The first shot, is it from a short called "5th Street" shot in Dublin ???

If so i met the guys in LA at a festival last summer, also caught the screening of the short nice work.

It's been a long time since I've cut a montage type demo reel but i had a lot of fun cutting this and i think it turned out pretty well.

http://vimeo.com/4078291

Guest Stephen Murphy
Hey Stephen,

The first shot, is it from a short called "5th Street" shot in Dublin ???

If so i met the guys in LA at a festival last summer, also caught the screening of the short nice work.

Hi Brett,

Yes thats the short. You would have met the director Dave Roddham and probably some of the cast as well. They went on to win some festivals in LA.

S

It's been a long time since I've cut a montage type demo reel but i had a lot of fun cutting this and i think it turned out pretty well.

http://vimeo.com/4078291

Hi Stephen, really nice and striking. Also like your idea of using it as an autoplay at the begining of a DVD menu, great way to introduces your versatility.

Regards,

Andy