RED EVF Questions

Tim Carroll

• Premium Member

Besides servicing ARRI motion picture cameras, I sometimes get asked to make camera related parts in my shop. I was approached today by a DP who is having an issue with his RED EVF. In the picture below, he feels the knob and buttons are sticking out too far and when he goes to pick up the EVF, or adjust it, he occasionally will hit the buttons or the knob (which I understand is a switch).

Is this a common issue that any of you have with this viewfinder? And if the viewfinder is not yet plugged in when you are mounting it or taking it out of its case, does hitting the buttons or the knob make any difference? Do you occasionally hit these buttons when adjusting the viewfinder or operating the camera?

Buttons.jpg

Thanks for any and all info.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

John,

What is an "ADF cover"? Not familiar with the term.

Also, looks like Element Technica has already solved the problem. Quite nicely I might add.

vf-guard2.jpg

Best,

-Tim

I hear you. I had one crap ass cell phone, Samsung I belive, that kept taking photos in my pocket due to idiot button design until the memory card were full and I couldn't recive any more smses. Then I had to erase those damn little black photos one by one. <_<

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Also, these buttons are all assignable - and can be switched off... It can be a bit annoying but by choosing carefully what you assign to those buttons it ceases to be an issue.

Its the same as the 435... trying to quickly turn over without taking my eye from the eyepiece I'm always hitting the wrong button

A lock button or sliding cover is a pretty basic requirement isn't it?

My old Motorola used to switch to silent mode because of those outside buttons. Its at the bottom of the River Thame now