Help - EX1 clip audio out of sync in FCP

Chris Millar

Hello,

Out of about 400 EX1 clips I have recorded there is one stubborn one that refuses to sync its audio correctly in FCP ...

The picture appears to lag by about a second or slightly less. Aside from the issue itself there is nothing unique about this clip compared to the others (that I can find) - annoying/interesting thing is that it will play fine in Quicktime directly.

1080/25P 16bit 48KHz clips and set up in FCP

I am not an editor and yet here I am :rolleyes:

any ideas ?

• Premium Member

Well you could take those individual clips, lock the video and move the audio left or right on the timeline till it looks in sync and then re-export them from FCP and bring them back into the project [the new ones you just made]. a little manual i know, but it'll work.

Well you could take those individual clips, lock the video and move the audio left or right on the timeline till it looks in sync and then re-export them from FCP and bring them back into the project [the new ones you just made]. a little manual i know, but it'll work.

Yeh, sure - that was my last resort...

Trying to avoid it as for browsing the files for other purposes (showing people the footage) I use the quicklook function in OS X in which the sync is fine - I'll have to have two files, one corrected for FCP and the original :rolleyes:

However ... will find out if the lag is the same every time or even if its progressively falling out of sync by your method - righto ! off to work ;)

Any help appreciated...

the problem has evolved somewhat - I have found that there are two days where the footage from is out of sync - by 14 frames on one and 19 frames the other ...

If I unlink them and sync them manually in the timeline then export them as QT movs they will then be out of sync in QT and then again in FCP upon re-import - so following the um, ahem - logic - I exported them in the original un-synced (in FCP) form as QT movs and got properly synced files now in both QT and FCP - yay! problem solved, altho its still a complete mystery ...

Problem solved I say ?!? No... not quite, these new corrected files :rolleyes: are not behaving well... scrubbing, or simple movement of the playback thingy will make any program using them laggy or just downright crash (FCP, QT, finder) - this is not the case with the original files ...

They are being exported as Quicktime Movie with current settings - the file sizes afterwards are the same (or very near enough)

As a workaround I'm going to have to unlink/sync/link all of the files and work with them directly like that, not too painful - but I'd like to know what is going on.

What dont I know about ?

Any help appreciated...

the problem has evolved somewhat - I have found that there are two days where the footage from is out of sync - by 14 frames on one and 19 frames the other ...

What dont I know about ?

I'm interested in this because I too use an EX1 with FCP.

Which version of FCP are you using? How did you import the clips - Log and Transfer, or Import via the XDCAM browser? Did you try re-importing the clip?

When you first put the clip on the timeline, was there a number in a red box, like this: outofsync.jpg

BTW, once you unlink the clips then manually sync them, you should be able to mark them in sync. Select the audio and video, then "Modify -> Mark In Sync."

--

Jim

I'm interested in this because I too use an EX1 with FCP.

Which version of FCP are you using? How did you import the clips - Log and Transfer, or Import via the XDCAM browser? Did you try re-importing the clip?

When you first put the clip on the timeline, was there a number in a red box, like this: outofsync.jpg

BTW, once you unlink the clips then manually sync them, you should be able to mark them in sync. Select the audio and video, then "Modify -> Mark In Sync."

--

Jim

FCP6 - all updated, sys prefs deleted etc...

no number in the red box no - I do this to sync them up ...

transfered via XDCAM browser - clips well cleared from the cards :o

UPDATE:

Thanks for the advice but I unlinked them then resynced them then linked again and also tried the 'marc in sync' which youd think is ok for the time being but when I put any effect/transition on them such as a cross dissolve the newly rendered area will revert to it 'correct' position and the resync will be out of sync - but only the rendered area - I end up with a little 14 frame picture jump at the beginning of the dissolve ... arrrgh!

Importing original file AE shows no issues in there - export from AE using the EX codec (changing nothing like previous attempts at this workaround in FCP) gives me correct sync in FCP again but again same corrupt file problem....

Latest try is extracting the video track and two audio tracks in QT then importing the three of them into FCP dumping them on the timeline, syncing them (they require it) then exporting them via QT compression (as 1080p25 EX etc...) - basically trying to strip the file to its basic components then put it back together without the error hitching a ride (if an error is really what it is) - only then have I managed to get the footage I want - what a mess of a workaround :blink: - btw... If I choose as 'quicktime movie' current settings I still get the second issue of crashy laggy footage...

stink buzz bro - but still truckin ;)

Latest try is extracting the video track and two audio tracks in QT then importing the three of them into FCP dumping them on the timeline, syncing them (they require it) then exporting them via QT compression (as 1080p25 EX etc...) - basically trying to strip the file to its basic components then put it back together without the error hitching a ride (if an error is really what it is) - only then have I managed to get the footage I want - what a mess of a workaround :blink: - btw... If I choose as 'quicktime movie' current settings I still get the second issue of crashy laggy footage...

What an ugly workaround :-(

I usually copy the entire card to an external hard drive, then use the Log and Transfer within Final Cut. It requires you have the appropriate plugin installed, which is available here.