A Resume Question

So I'm updating my resume and I'm wondering how I should go about including the freelance work I've done and if I should include work I've done on student shoots. Also, should I mention which cameras I've worked with, like I would with computer software? Or what? This is just a general template that I would then tweak depending on the job opportunity. I'm just not sure what my format should be here or how much detail I should go into. Any suggestions?

• Premium Member

I would try to tailor the resume to the type of work you're applying for. If technical expertise is relevant, then by all means include it.

I still include a brief "technical" section in my resume that lets employers know what types of cameras and technologies I'm experienced with. If I'm applying for an HD shoot, I want my prospective employers to know that I have experience with HD and video as well as film.

I think the main point is to highlight your experience and expertise, so anything that's relevant to that end is helpful. Think about the concerns your prosepctive employers have about your qualifications, and don't worry so much if your resume fits the format of other resumes. In this case it's content, not form, that's relevant.

Okay, thanks. I made one section for "Software Skills" and one for "Camera Skills" so I guess that should cover all my bases. I'm applying for a job in which I would be teaching video classes, so I'm assuming that they'd want to know about my camera experiences as well as computer skills.

• Premium Member

Especially this early in your career, keep it to one page. The student films might be handled all in one line, something like:

"Director of Photography on seven student films, three on 16mm Eastman color negative, four on video."

Then you might give more detail to paid freelance work.

Never use the title of a film unless the person reading the resume is sure to recognize it. For industrial and institutional work, go with a description including the client name, something like:

"Gaffer on two Toyota parts department training videos"

-- J.S.

Gotcha. It's funny you mention people using titles of their films as if everyone is supposed to recognize it. It happens quite a bit at my school and is always rather amusing, if not slightly pretentious.

"Grip on student shoot involving motorcycles, generators, loud noise after 10 pm in a residential neighborhood, and other things we would need a permit for..." :P Better leave that one out...!