Widescreen on a budget

Hi,

I recently purchased a Konvas 1M camera (Standard 4 perf 35mm as I understand).

I'm looking to try my hand at some widescreen shoots this summer - I live in Norway and I want a kind of Spaghetti-western meets "the vikings" kind of style, if you know what i mean: wide open fjord landscapes kind of tapestry backdrop.

Anyway; I've been looking at Anamorphic lenses for the Konvas, but it appears shooting anamorph can give more trouble than its worth to a beginner cameraman (and Im a beginner), (more prone to artifacts, lens flares etc etc) and also the lenses arent that great for the Konvas unless I really pay up beyond a "reasonable amateur budget".

Should I forget about going anamorphic and just shoot normally, doing widescreen in digital afterwards? Does anyone go this road? Is it practical or a waste of film?

I thoguht perhaps I could map out the the shots to use only the bottom haf of the frame, and then blowup the lower half afterwards? (Kind of a poor mans 2 perf? can I call it 1 perf? :ph34r: )

In short: Does anyone have any advice, tips or tricks on how to shoot 35mm widescreen-style without gizmos?

Cheers,

Mike in Norway.

Edited by Michael Mann

Hi,

I recently purchased a Konvas 1M camera (Standard 4 perf 35mm as I understand).

I'm looking to try my hand at some widescreen shoots this summer - I live in Norway and I want a kind of Spaghetti-western meets "the vikings" kind of style, if you know what i mean: wide open fjord landscapes kind of tapestry backdrop.

Anyway; I've been looking at Anamorphic lenses for the Konvas, but it appears shooting anamorph can give more trouble than its worth to a beginner cameraman (and Im a beginner), (more prone to artifacts, lens flares etc etc) and also the lenses arent that great for the Konvas unless I really pay up beyond a "reasonable amateur budget".

Should I forget about going anamorphic and just shoot normally, doing widescreen in digital afterwards? Does anyone go this road? Is it practical or a waste of film?

I thoguht perhaps I could map out the the shots to use only the bottom haf of the frame, and then blowup the lower half afterwards? (Kind of a poor mans 2 perf? can I call it 1 perf? :ph34r: )

In short: Does anyone have any advice, tips or tricks on how to shoot 35mm widescreen-style without gizmos?

Cheers,

Mike in Norway.

Matting it or cropping the image in post is going to be the easiest thing for you to do. If you shoot 4 perf, you can also contact print. What aspect ratio are you trying to achieve? 1.85 or scope? Also, how are you finishing the film, video, print??? All this will play into how you shoot "widescreen". As a student and someone who is just starting out, easiest is best. You got the camera, now what kind of lenses are with it? What is the ground glass. I wouldn't shy away from anamorphic lenses right away. What you said is all true, but they are not impossible to manage. Maybe there is someone near enough to you that will rent themselves along with the lens package, who might serve as your first. Granted this is a very generous person, but it is worth asking around.

I think your version of 2 perf is more trouble than it is worth. If you have spherical lenses with your camera, I would look into a 2 perf conversion of it. I know that it is probably too expensive, but it is something to save for.