Anyone has a spring Beaulieu R 16

Simon Wyss

• Premium Member

Cuckoo!

Released in March 1958 Marcel Beaulieu's answer to the Paillard-Bolex H 16 Reflex and the Eumig C 16 (not a reflex camera)

Is there anybody who owns one and would tell us his experience with the spring-drive chipper ?

Kind regards

• Premium Member

Hello Simon,

the guillotine shutter of all the Beaulieus (be it 8 or 16mm) is a complete failure. The movement underexposes the top of the frame due to its movement. I read it sometime in smallformat magazine: "Because most filming was done outside where underexposing the top of the frame (the sky) is a bonus for the amateur." The spring wound R16 is probably better than all the electric models. The power cells also have technical weaknesses, to say it politely. But hey, they look beautiful, a real eye catcher, so they are in the front row display of my vitrine.

Any other opinions on this one?

I had one of these back in college for about 5 days, or more specifically, two windings, after which the motor jammed beyond any kind of easy fix. Needless to say I don't have a very high regard for anything Beaulieu. They're nice to look at but just seem very delicate.