Tobacco Filter + Pro Mist

Hi everyone,

I am a beginning DP shooting a dream sequence that mixes imagination with a person's past. For that reason I thought of using a Tobacco Filter + a Pro Mist filter. Yet, I am a starting DP and I am sure that there are a million things about doing this that I don't know of, right?

How many stops do I loose with each filter? Opinions? Do you guys think it will work?

any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Lucas

Hi everyone,

I am a beginning DP shooting a dream sequence that mixes imagination with a person's past. For that reason I thought of using a Tobacco Filter + a Pro Mist filter. Yet, I am a starting DP and I am sure that there are a million things about doing this that I don't know of, right?

How many stops do I loose with each filter? Opinions? Do you guys think it will work?

Regards,

Lucas

Lucas, sounds like you're on the right track. There are various grades of each filter which will determine your exposure compensation. You might also want to experiment with a digital still camera to get a good idea of what you like. Tobacco filters tend to be fairly strong, even for the lowest grade being a 1. I'd suggest using a Fog filter if your going for a dreamy sort of look. You'll get much nicer soft halos off of highlights. If you're playing with warming filters, the Chocolate series. I think they give of more subtle and pleasing look.

Hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Lucas

Try it and see. Use different combinations. Go heavy if you test. See the extremes. There are two approaches I've see people take to using color. One is to compensate for the loss and the is to not. Try both and see what you like. Spot meter the filters if you compensate.

• 2 weeks later...