First time with Red

Michael Narimalla

Hi I'm a film student and I am DPing a short film that will potentially be shot on RED. the film is gritty and fast paced and i would like a certain amount of grain. however my concern is that the RED image is TOO pristine. does anyone with RED experience know how I can make this work or would I be better off with another camera? (although my preference is film, it is not an option for this project)

• Premium Member

The other thing to try is underexposing, going to deep stops and using the natural noise of the camera's low end as grain. Shoot tests and look at them on a good monitor first, as this is more dangerous than just shooting clean normal exposure data and graining it up in post. But it's also far more educational, you learn where the limits are.

-- J.S.

all I can say is.........test the RED......under and over exposure and at exposure.....open it in post, crush it in post.....add grain in AE or in the Flame....

it's the only way you'll know if you like it or not and whether it works for the project..

I like the RED, because of one single reason....it has added to the way I can express what I am going to shoot. Being a DP that comes from a film background, I treat the RED as if I have a new emulsion.

whether it's 7201, 5219, Eterna or the HVX200....they all have a certain level of performance that will apply to a certain task...knowing their parameters will help you decide what works for each shoot.

Personally, I don't like the noise that the RED or any digital form produces when under-exposed...that doesn't mean I won't use it if the story says I need noise. I just try to be involved in the post process to have some say in where it all goes.

Eric

• Premium Member

Obviously, test it first. But I think you'll probably prefer a "film grain" filter in post to in-camera noise produced by the Red. IMO, video noise and Red noise in particular looks awful - if you've seen 1600ASA DSLR exposures with no noise removal filter added, that's about what you can expect to see with underexposed Red footage. Just my personal opinion...

Ya Super16 would be nice but I have access to a RED through a friend at PS for a very low price and we just cant afford the processing costs of film. Thank you everyone for your advice, I think once I do a few tests (I havn't even ever touched a RED) then I will have a better idea of how to get the desired look.