K3 test clip / spring mechanism problem

Rolf

Hi everybody!

here's a test clip done with the K3.

It's nothing special, the pictures are a bit shaky, just checking if focusing and lighting works...

http://vimeo.com/4441480

...unfortunately the spring mechanism doesn't work anymore. I didn't notice any loud noise or crackling.

I tried (like suggested somewhere else) knocking softly against the camera body while pushing the start button,

but it didn't help.

I'm afraid I'll have to take the camera apart. Has anyone done it already?

Hi everybody!

here's a test clip done with the K3.

It's nothing special, the pictures are a bit shaky, just checking if focusing and lighting works...

http://vimeo.com/4441480

...unfortunately the spring mechanism doesn't work anymore. I didn't notice any loud noise or crackling.

I tried (like suggested somewhere else) knocking softly against the camera body while pushing the start button,

but it didn't help.

I'm afraid I'll have to take the camera apart. Has anyone done it already?

Looking good - sorry to hear about it stopping working.

I'd be careful opening the camera with the spring fully wound. When you remove the screws to lift out the back plate in the film chamber, you'll find the spring motor ratchet pawls are attached on the other side of it. If the spring is fully wound then removing the plate could cause it to suddenly release in a bit of a rush!

If it were me, I'd take up the tension with the winding handle before removing the last screw and lifting the plate out. That means the spring won't suddenly unwind (don't worry, the spring itself is enclosed so won't actually shoot out - just suddenly unwind). You can then carefully release the spring tension using the winding handle. This might be easier with two people, one to hold the handle whilst the other lifts the plate out.

There are posts on the forum here, and youtube videos that describe taking the plate out - it's part of the procedure for removing the loop formers. Once inside you should be able to figure out what's not working - it's all pretty straight forward in there!

Good luck.