Footcandle Meter

Hey,

I'm interested in getting a meter that will display in F/C's. I have a sekonic 558, and it's great on set, no problem there. This is more out of my curiosity to learn more about the relationship between Footcandles and F/stops hands on. I've looked at the old:

Sekonic Studio Deluxe III CAT L-398A

as well as several newer "all in one" meters. However, I don't need a new all in one meter. I already have that. Any thoughts on the old Sekonic, or any other old F/C meters out there would be great and most appreciated. Thanks!

I have a Sekonic Combi-Pro with all the slides and a field case I'll sell you for whatever the going rate is. $100. It's a good meter. What's the old rule of thumb? 100 footcandles at 100 ASA is a 2.8?

• Premium Member

Is your 558 a Cine or non-Cine? The Cine version can read footcandles. Or just calculate in your head: as Tom says, f/2.8 @ 100ASA = 100fc. That's usually what I end up doing, as I'm too cheap to buy a footcandle meter (I have an L-508, non Cine).

But if you're set on getting one, I'd just get a used Spectra Cine meter (the current version, IV). Then you've got a great backup meter too. Digital meters are so much more sensitive than their analog counterparts that I don't see the point in getting an analog. Well, those little aperture slides in the old Spectra are fun I guess. *facepalm*

Hey,

I'm interested in getting a meter that will display in F/C's. I have a sekonic 558, and it's great on set, no problem there. This is more out of my curiosity to learn more about the relationship between Footcandles and F/stops hands on. I've looked at the old:

Sekonic Studio Deluxe III CAT L-398A

as well as several newer "all in one" meters. However, I don't need a new all in one meter. I already have that. Any thoughts on the old Sekonic, or any other old F/C meters out there would be great and most appreciated. Thanks!

I have the Studio Deluxe, and I can say that it works great. It's a good ole' analog meter, which in my mind, are more dependable than the electronic meters(not to say that I wouldn't use one). Storaro used the analog type, and he got along just fine.

I have a Sekonic Combi-Pro with all the slides and a field case I'll sell you for whatever the going rate is. $100. It's a good meter. What's the old rule of thumb? 100 footcandles at 100 ASA is a 2.8?

SPECTRA, Spectra Combi Pro. Senior moment. Satsuki jogged the fog.I had a Sekonic Studio but I sold that years ago. I have an old Pentax spot if anybody wants to buy that too.

Edited by Tom Jensen

I don't mean to steal this thread, but i for see me getting in trouble if I posted a whole new thread for my question.

I'm looking for some recommendations for a Spot/Incident meter as well. I've read what everybody here's already contributed, but I'm looking for some more feedback.

Sekonic L-758C seems nice for a new one.

Sekonic L-608C and Minolta VI seem alright for older models.

what about this one? do you see yourself spending $2500 USA on a spot meter?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4192..._Spotmeter.html

I know its a subjective question that's why i looking for opinions not answers.

thanks,

Mike