Who is the most prolific filmmaker, ever?

Guest captainchambers

Ingmar Bergman comes to mind as a director who made a lot of films. Good ones.

Trying for quality only gets in the way of being prolific.

You have to churn 'em out fast.

William Beaudine Sr. has 299 directing credits from 1915-1976, 10 for 1950 alone in IMDB.com.

Samuel Neufeld AKA Sam Newfield has 271 from 1926-1964. Cut off after 1952 and it's still 258.

16 in 1943!

Shooting a 60-70 minute povery row picture in the 30s and 40s would be like shooting a one hour TV episode

today. The one hour TV show has more care put in it than was put into the old cheapies.

---LV

Allan Dwan has far more feature credits than DeMille or Huston -- in the sound era alone he directed over 75 features. His first directing credit is 1911 and his last is 1961. I think D.W. Griffith directed more films than Dwan but not more feature-length ones and definitely not more sound ones.

In the modern world, you'd have to look to Bollywood or Hong Kong to find a director with a record-setting number of feature credits.

So I'm sitting here listening to the Director's commentary for the Scorsese film 'After Hours' and he starts rattling off these films by Allan Dwan and I'm thinking who is this guy... so I do an IMDB and according to them he's listed as directing 345 films (and Scorsese has probably seen most of them!)