SRW-9000

Serge Teulon

I'd imagine they were going through the F23 and then the F35 progress. I expect Sony want to allow the people who purchased the F35 some time to recover their investment before a lighter camera comes onto the market. It makes sense for the TV market where there has been a large investment in 2/3" HD lenses in recent years. It looks like HDCAM is being phased out with it being replaced by XDCAM HD 4:2:2 for docs etc and HDCAM SR for drama etc.

From what I gather the F23 and F35 are pretty similar behind the sensor, so perhaps the 35mm sensor next year?

You've got a valid point Brian.

With all the PL mounted, 35mm sensor cameras that have come out in the last 1-2 years, the tv sector has been, in some way, forgotten. That is until this camera....

Edited by Serge Teulon

• 2 weeks later...

According to a rep I spoke with at NAB, the 9000 is intended to be a one-piece b-cam for the F23 (with no need for a tether if on a steadicam), and more significantly it's targeted at high end EFP projects like Planet Earth, etc, as well as TV drama. (Undoubtedly there will be other niches that this camera will fall into...) Though it's physically large and bulky compared to say a Varicam or F900R, I put it on my shoulder and it's easily as light as the 900R and nicely balanced with efp zoom and battery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No one has shot with it because it will not be released until the fourth quarter of '09. There are only a few hand-assembled cameras in existence and all were at NAB, like the one in our booth. It is a very impressive camera, but it so resembles a shoebox that Mike Bravin of BandPro joked that they should paint an arrow on the side stating "point this way."