Video Assist Sony xc 999 Wiring Question

Nick G Smith

I bought a Sony XC-999 for video assist . I am using the same Y cable as for a Sony Xc-75 but I am only getting a b/w image.

The hirose 12pin cable is wired to a bnc on pins 3 Video output grnd and 4 Video output signal.

Does anyone know if that is correct wiring for a colour video signal? Looks like I am only getting the luminance signal and no chroma.

Pot 4 is switched to Y/C - but seems to make no difference on either setting.

Nick

post-3619-1242307028.png

post-3619-1242307484.png

• Premium Member
I bought a Sony XC-999 for video assist . I am using the same Y cable as for a Sony Xc-75 but I am only getting a b/w image.

The hirose 12pin cable is wired to a bnc on pins 3 Video output grnd and 4 Video output signal.

Does anyone know if that is correct wiring for a colour video signal? Looks like I am only getting the luminance signal and no chroma.

Pot 4 is switched to Y/C - but seems to make no difference on either setting.

Nick

post-3619-1242307028.png

post-3619-1242307484.png

I used to have a Manuel for the XC999, I cant find it but here is the one for the XC555 which is the newer model.

xc_555_techmanual.pdf

Ok, I have the answer thanks to Andrew Zorawski at Az-spectrum. Anyone else who wants to use a XC-999 for video assist use the following instructions.

To get a color image for the XC 999 Pin 11 on the 12 pin Hirose connector has to be connected to +12V.

pin 1 : 0V

pin2 : +12VDC

pin 3 : Video Out

pin4 : Video GND

pin11: +12VDC

Pot 4 on VBS

• 1 year later...

Hi Nick,

I don't have any experience with video, and I'm trying to use the XC-999 for astrophotography. I do have the XC-999, but I don't have the CMA control box. From your post, and from reading the camera's manual I understood that the camera streams the video as soon as the 12V is supplied to it. Does this mean that you can use pins 3-4 and 9-10 to output Y/C signal to a S-video input? If that is the case I can make my own simple circuit to accomplish that, but I'm not sure that this is correct. Could you please provide some more info?

Thanks,

Darko

• 13 years later...
On 5/17/2009 at 2:37 AM, Nick G Smith said:

Ok, I have the answer thanks to Andrew Zorawski at Az-spectrum. Anyone else who wants to use a XC-999 for video assist use the following instructions.

To get a color image for the XC 999 Pin 11 on the 12 pin Hirose connector has to be connected to +12V.

pin 1 : 0V

pin 3 : Video Out

pin4 : Video GND

Pot 4 on VBS

You have pin 3 and 4 inverted. The correct pinout is as follow:

pin 1 :  - GND

pin3 : Video GND

pin 4 : Video Out