Eclair NPR Stills

Stephen Smith

Hi,

thought i'd share a few stills from a short film i shot on my S16 NPR, I don't think id have managed to ever shoot s16 if it wasn't for all the help i've had off this forum.

It was a self funded project, we shot on EXR100t, vision 200t and eterna 250D (all cheap off ebay)

Telecine was best light to DVcam, these are pulled straight off without any post work.

new2.jpg 250D

12.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

I think the older stocks looked alot nicer than the newer fuji.

The lens was an angenieux 10-150mm, i'm pretty happy with how its all come out. I mainly used lowel omnis and tota for fill, with muslin and a 2k to simulate sun light in a couple of shots. Hopefully i ahcieved a natural look?

Any critiques on the lighting is welcome, i'm still learning.... One thing i see is that some sort of dulling spray would have been useful on the lightswitch in the second still.

thanks for looking

Edited by Stephen Smith

great looking shots! i think you could go anywhere with it in post because the colors look neutral. that lightswitch will be fairly easily fixed with a matte since it's square. i really didn't notice the lighting at all, which is obviously good - it looks natural.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the lighting in the bathroom shot. What was your reasoning behind leaving your focus on the shoulder of the girl rather than her face in the mirror? Also I see your tag for the shot that used the 250D but can you tell us which pics are from which stock.

thanks for the feedback

The film will eventually be uploaded on the net, at the moment we're still doing a lot of editing, hoping to enter it into a few festivals and see what happens, although if we get a trailer uploaded i'll be sure to put a link to it.

I like the lighting in the bathroom shot. What was your reasoning behind leaving your focus on the shoulder of the girl rather than her face in the mirror? Also I see your tag for the shot that used the 250D but can you tell us which pics are from which stock.

It's probably not the best still for me to have chosen from that scene, the focus changes, as in the scene she moves closer toward the mirror then further away, it was sort of improvised acting so there weren't really focus marks. It's supposedly after drinking alot of wine so i guess in a way it is a reflection of how she is seeing herself at the time. I'd actually planned for it to have a slight yellow tint, using 1/4 CTS gel but the lab ignored the instructions (i think it actually turned out nicer as they have done it, looks alot more sterile)

I tried to tag all of the stills with the stock but it wouldn't allow me to edit the post again.

1st still is 250D eterna

2nd 100EXR

3rd & 4th vision 200T

We tried to work the mix of stocks into the storyline, with the idea of graininess increasing as the story unfolds, and becomes more hectic. I'm not entirely sure if it's worked out like that yet, I was expecting quite a step change between the older stocks, possibly there is and i'm just not used to using film enough to notice yet.

Thanks