k-3 vs k-1 and a lens question

Elliot Lear

I'm new here but have spent a lot of time reading the forums about the k-3 and trying to answer my own questions. I'm thinking of purchasing one to use in film school (Columbia College Chicago) since the Bolexes my school use are in constant demand and I live far from campus. Thought I'd save myself some of the grief and constraint.

I realize that the bayonet mount on the k-3s is the way to go but is the k-1 basically just the same camera without the zoom? Besides the magazine loading that is...though I'm not sure how difficult this would be to get the film into the mags.

The only other differentiate that I've seen is that the k-3 comes with a few more accessories like the filters etc. but I'm unsure how easy they would be to replace.

Besides the zoom I'm obviously interested in another wide, probably the Mir-11 but can anyone tell me if the LOMO OKS-3-10-1 1.8/10mm would work?

There's one on ebay here that I'd like to get if it works with the bayonet mount on the krasnogorsk cameras. I've read Olex's replies on these topics but with so many numbers flying around I've had trouble telling which other Russian lenses would work without modification etc.

My main goal is to keep costs down and not heavily invest in something that can't do more than wind up shooting.

I've seen the Kinor 16 posts and some on ebay but it seems thats more of a crapshoot with quality? I guess I just don't know enough about them or costs associated with getting them up to crystal sync.

On another front, if I got one that was modded to Super 16 - leaning away from this however - would the k-1 primes (mir & vegas) cover this? Is there any way to tell whether a lens will without testing it out first (ie calculating something out)?

Thanks for responses, I'm sorry if some of these have been answered before.

The only other differentiate that I've seen is that the k-3 comes with a few more accessories like the filters etc. but I'm unsure how easy they would be to replace.

K-3 accessories ( pistol grip, shoulder brace.. ) compatible with K-1

Besides the zoom I'm obviously interested in another wide, probably the Mir-11 but can anyone tell me if the LOMO OKS-3-10-1 1.8/10mm would work?

The lens mount of professional cine camera Kinor-16 do not compatible with lens mount of K1/K3 camera ( bayonet ).

The upgrade of lens mount of Kinor-16 lenses will ask of additional money and can be don't economically sound projects.

The good idea to upgrade of 10-100 zoom lens of Kinor-16 on K1/K3 lens mount, but, this is modification will ask of additional money too.

You can find of prime lenses from russian 16SP camera. This is lenses have lens mount compatible with K1/K3, without modification. This can be OKS lenses 10 mm, 12 mm, 25mm, 50 mm, 75 mm

But, I must draw attention on simplicity design of K1/K3 bayonet mount at idea to use of wide angle lenses.

The matter is that, the wide angle and super wide angle lenses ask of high precision of flange focal distance. Because, the any change of flange focal distance on 0.05..0.2 mm can destroy of sharpness image on film. That's why, the lens must be to press on body of camera with high effort.

The design of K1/K3 bayonet mount do not have of high effort of clamping of lens to camera and can have a some gaps.

That's why, you can have a some disappointment of shapness of picture and will think about bad optical quality of lens, but, the problems at gaps of lens mount.

And, if you think to use wide angle lenses often, and wish have good sharpness of image, i recommed to choose of cameta with lens mount like Kinor-16 SX-2M camera ( Arri PL style ).