Cinematography: Film tests

That's all it will let me upload for now. That's what I get for lurking and not posting.

I uploaded all the images to flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38825328@N05/...157618819195221

There is the link. Hopefully this works. Now everyone can enjoy.

Can't wait to see more from you.

Thank you so much for uploading all that. Don't forget that there is a lot more written content of my experience on the youtube video descriptions. I can't wait to experiment more but I don't think I will have an experience quite like this one again on my own budget. It cost a pretty penny but I would be thriled if I could experiment more before a shoot and I will post more as I shoot more.

Again thank you

Brad

• Premium Member

Thanks Brad for putting those photos up.

The tests were interesting in a way. I would have learned more about these stocks and processes, etc. if they had all been pointing at the same thing though, with some charts in the shot, and had been transferred to HD. Standard-def video tends to reduce the differences in grain, plus the lens used seemed a bit on the soft side.

Thanks Brad for putting those photos up.

The tests were interesting in a way. I would have learned more about these stocks and processes, etc. if they had all been pointing at the same thing though, with some charts in the shot, and had been transferred to HD. Standard-def video tends to reduce the differences in grain, plus the lens used seemed a bit on the soft side.

I would have to agree with you the lens was a bit soft and it was a bit frustrating because I was using school equipment. Apparently few students seem to want to take care of the schools equipment. As for the charts I was very stubborn to use them because I wanted the tellecine operator to only use the tellecine analyses film "TAF" strips. But it turns out that they did not have them. Well in short I did learn my lesion as far as film testing goes. I had no idea how important the color chart was till after my experience. What is even more frustrating is that even if I did have the taf strips the operator would still have to correct for the taf strips so in essence there is no 0 value for color. I guess that is what I get for being stubborn. But I will use the color chart more often next time to keep every thing some what even. I really hate it when there is an operator correcting for the color when a film test is presented.

Why would you say that?

What I've been able to discern John Holland (haha no offence, I'm just speculating) is a grumpy old man, and you know how these old established guys are, they have their preconceived notions about things, so I guess they feel the thread is sad for some nebulous reason which you don't get privy to unless you are as old school and knowledgeable as them.

But anyway, this is great for me, and I hope to be able to secure an Arri SR1 camera for a very cheap price and I get 43% off all Kodak Stocks from a great Film community here in Sweden so I think I'll be able to make it. It's about a voyeur who falls in love with the woman he secretly watches (yes I know it's very much like Kieslowskis "A Short Film about Love").