DVX100/a vs. XL-2 vs. HDV

Jared Hoy

set up:

I'm going to be directing a "quaint" little short that is mainly for myself to work with the actors for a feature that is coming up next fall and to try a few things.

question:

what are your pro's and con's against/for the perticular pro-sumer cameras.

response:

thanks ahead of time.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The only real qualitative issues to consider are the fact that the XL2 is 16:9 and either XL camera can mount a mini35 directly. All the rest of it is really down to you shooting tests and making a subjective decision.

Phil

HI,

You make it sound like such a simple question, but when you tally up the effort, even if no one is being paid, is just huge. The wrong camera can make this just a waste of time and effort.

There are only two cameras that should be in consideration here and that is the 24P cameras, the Canon and the DVX100A. These will look like a film capture, the other one will not, and the chance dropout in DV will not take out an entire half second or so as it will in HDV. Deciding between the DVX and the Canon, should be done by testing and seeing which one deals with Gamma and colors the way you want it to. The resolution differences between the Canon 16:9 and the DVX with Anamorphic or squeeze is rather small. Especially if you take the detail back to where it starts to look like film instead of video.

So head on over to the local rental house and run a test or two.

Hope that helps,

Jan

G'day Jared.

I have used both the XL1 & XL2, and the DVX100, and only the other day i had a play with the Sony HDV (i posted an opinion in the HDV thread a couple of days ago) but have not shot anything on it, so?

I think you'll find that any of the three, handled well, will do a fine job. Both the XL2 & the HDV are 16:9 and the DVX 4:3 if that's an issue.  I don't know how much experience you have had, or your actors, but the small inobtrusive cameras will help to keep the shoot relaxed.

If i was to pick one, i'd pick which ever was the easiest or least expensive to obtain, particularly if it's just for yourself. Also if there is any editing, then what is available for that may lean you one way or the other.

Anyway good luck, and i hope you have fun.

we're going with a full paid crew, well not full but (gaff/BBE+1) 4or5 production side, a PA or two - you know the task. The cost isn't an issue between the decision.

the XL-1 could use the Prime lenses, and the XL-2 as well?

I will definatlly check out the HDV thread and will be spending a day at the rental house in early January.

thanks for your input.

• Premium Member

Hi,

If you do decide on a DVX-100 and want widescreen, you could also consider putting anamorphic primes on a mini35. I find the mini35 makes the already-soft DVX look incredibly soft, but it would get you around the only real drawback with the DVX.

Jan, I'm going to make the assumption that Panasonic has a widescreen DVX-alike camera in the lab, because I know you won't tell me - assuming inter-zaibatsu agreements in Japan don't forbid it...

Phil