excessive vignetting and breathing

Hello,

Recently, my Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 12-120mm, T2.4 Super-16 zoom has shown more than normal breathing and excessive vignetting when zoomed out and at a close focus distance. It has always exhibited some amounts of both, but has seemed to have gotten worse lately. The lens seems fine in terms of there being no visible damage and all rings turn as smoothly as ever.

I'm about to get it collimated just to see if that detects anything abnormal as a first test, but could anyone recommend another test or procedure to help in diagnosis?

Has anyone had experience with a similar lens showing this type of thing over age?

Thanks for any input.

Al DeLory

I've used that lens before and it definitely has breathing/vignette issues on the wide end. Much more than the Canon 7-64mm.

Is it a rehoused 16mm or a manufactured s16mm lens?

Matt

It is a manufactured lens and as far as I know has never been disassembled or rehoused in any way. I'm still baffled how this would get worse over time when all other aspects of the lens seem the same as always.

• Premium Member
It is a manufactured lens and as far as I know has never been disassembled or rehoused in any way. I'm still baffled how this would get worse over time when all other aspects of the lens seem the same as always.

Hi,

I think you may be focusing closer than the nearest mark on the lens, there is a reason for that mark. The lens does breathe badly but it's small light , sharp & cheap. You can't have everything.

Stephen