2K Versus 4K Digital Cinema

Thomas James

You have a choice! Either...

i) a HMI to LED lamp conversion kit,

ii) a 'Number of Lights Needed Pocket Calculator' with see-in-the-dark sliders and hi-res numerical display, or

iii) a t-shirt saying "DON'T talk to me unless I talk to you first!" - originally designed for Autistics' conferences and a good thing to wear on set. ;)

The calculator in the post. ;)

Be aware that when it gets low on batteries it can act up a bit. Like last week every set-up I dialled in came up with 146. The producer was going spare, and the electricians were complaining about loading and unloading so many lights! I pointed to the calculator and said, "See? That's what it says. Can't argue with that." But I did look a bit silly when the my focus puller said, "They can't all be 146," changed the battery, and it came up with 4. :(

There's a neat trick if you hold the 'film asa' and 'number of actors' buttons down together you go into Low Budget Mode. This simply divides everything by 10, so a location needing 5 lights would only need 1/2 (in other words a photoflood with some cooking foil for a reflector). Very useful.

I like the 'infinity' setting in the Lamp Selection Function... click on Available Light... and it says "Use Every Light Available"... very helpful!

Thanks for sharing that low budget mode too! Does that also work if you install one battery instead of the two required?

Now you're being silly! :angry:

There are a few games built in too. So when you get bored of lighting you can still look like you're working away calculating lights. While the whole crew are standing around waiting you're really playing Asteroids! I nearly got caught the other day. heh heh! :lol:

Tip: NEVER be tempted to try to make some money out of challenging the producer to a match! :huh:

Edited by Karel Bata

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Would 4K projection look much better than 2K projection on the average movie screen or can the difference only be seen on larger screens?

Hi,

You need to sit in the front row to really see the difference, sit at the back and SD would be OK.

Stephen

• Premium Member
You guys are ALL completely wrong!

I'm not... I just said hi to Mike :P

I'm not so sure. That can be a mistake. I've known Mike for well over twenty years, and he can get pretty curmudgeonly at times.... ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
I think the WEB reading experience is much closer to a newspaper than TV news....

Yup, TV and the web together render the physical printing and distribution of newspapers obsolete. What's far more important is the competence and honesty of the people who write the stuff, whether we read it seconds later on the web or a day or two later on paper. The web has room for more voices, which is good. But it requires us as readers to figure out who to believe.

-- J.S.