Green screen full length

Have to do full length.. hero walking about 6 steps into shot.. turn face camera.. shot.

Will go for biggest screen I can get... Studio wont paint syc..on another shoot I was told that as long as the talent is surrounded by screen(green in this case) other parts of the camera frame could shoot off the background as this could be easily (added) in post.And thats what they did.. but just wondering..is it that easy in post.. or pain in the arse... expensive etc

Also was thinking to use 4 X 1.2 HMI,s with diffusion screens.. maybe a couple of 4x4 kino,s daylight balanced.. just in case.. :) to light screen and talent..

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi Robin,

There are plenty of studios that will paint their cyc in whatever colour you want. You could therefore speak to your producer and see if you could move on....I'm sure the current studio might think twice about their refusal.

Otherwise if that is too expensive, I would just hire a some greenscreen material that covers the same area as your shot requires.

If the hero is your main character, I wouldn't ponder on any compromises in this scenario. It's just not worth it....

Thanks Serge

Yes the studio is a pain... China they will.. Tokyo they wont.. fairly typical.. but there is a company that will deliver a huge green screen cloth made with apparently creaseless material... remains to be seen :)

Iam not too worried about shooting off the screen now... based on a job a few years ago where even with a big screen outside for low shots had to shoot off the thing.. and the dir wasnt worried at.. was put in,in post.. I wasnt there when they actually did this post prod work on the computer, but was told it is an easy enough procedure.. and it worked in the finished product.. made an army out of about 12 guys!!!

Anyway thanks again

Hi Robin,

There are plenty of studios that will paint their cyc in whatever colour you want. You could therefore speak to your producer and see if you could move on....I'm sure the current studio might think twice about their refusal.

Otherwise if that is too expensive, I would just hire a some greenscreen material that covers the same area as your shot requires.

If the hero is your main character, I wouldn't ponder on any compromises in this scenario. It's just not worth it....

Will go for biggest screen I can get... Studio wont paint syc..on another shoot I was told that as long as the talent is surrounded by screen(green in this case) other parts of the camera frame could shoot off the background as this could be easily (added) in post.

It isn’t that important to fill your frame with green screen. It is very simple to create a garbage matt remove non-green screen elements as long as the actor doesn’t cross in front of them.

Hi Bob

Ok thanks.. yes thats what I had heard on that previous job.. thanks for confirming.. and that it isnt a big deal.I dont do alot of big green screen shoots,and I think alot of camera people dont know that you can shoot off the screen as long as your hero person or product is surrounded at all times.. or maybe it was only me :) it does make life a bit easier..

Have you had trouble convincing clients/producers of this ? :)

It isn’t that important to fill your frame with green screen. It is very simple to create a garbage matt remove non-green screen elements as long as the actor doesn’t cross in front of them.