Large, Powerful Bounce Board for Day Ext.

I'm looking to shoot some day exteriors and we can't avoid shooting at noon under harsh daylight and mixed conditions (partly cloudy).

I'm going to be shooting masters first, then moving on to shots under a 12X12 1/4 grid cloth butterfly. (Unless this won't provide enough diffusion; is 1/2 or 1/4 grid cloth more popular?) We don't the budget or time for HMIs.

We're shooting on video so we can't afford the light loss a net results in (the highlights will blow out), so I want to use a lot of bounce. I'd like to use an 8X8 silver lame frame angled up from beneath the talent, but I'm afraid of getting very harsh, directional light. I'd use an 8X8 of grid cloth, but I'm afraid that won't produce enough bounce.

What do you recommend? I'm getting beaver board and flex fills for close ups, but for medium shots under the net, is there a particular reflector that's popular? Do you just angle a 6X6 of grid cloth up from the ground (at the edge of the net) to throw light in the talent's faces? I'm lost at this; never done day exteriors like this.

Thanks.

I'm going to be shooting masters first, then moving on to shots under a 12X12 1/4 grid cloth butterfly. (Unless this won't provide enough diffusion; is 1/2 or 1/4 grid cloth more popular?) We don't the budget or time for HMIs.

1/2 is obviosely a thicker fabric so you get a softer look but also with the stop loss. Depends on the condition. Why dont you use some dingle to break up the harsh sun - some big ass tree branches or camo nets on highboys.

8X8 of grid cloth, but I'm afraid that won't produce enough bounce.

Grid is a diffusion so dont use this. Use a 12x12 ultra bounce and on the cheap side get a big roll of bleached muslin to put on the ground.

It's all by eye - take some foam core, muslin and some diffusion, a bunch of stands and some dingle and see what the conditions offer up on the day.

Grid for overhead (for me) is WAY to strong... I use 1/4 Silk... that takes the edge off but doesn't make it so obvious the talent is 'under' some sort of diffuser. I highly recommend 1/4 Silk. For Bounce, Grifflons, Microwaves, Lamays and Reflectors or anything 'white' works fantastic.

Thank you both for the helpful replies. We don't have the budget to rent too much gear, but I'll test the 1/4 grid against the 1/4 stop silk and see which I prefer. I want to err on the side of a bit too much diffusion; that way if the sun falls behind the clouds, we can keep shooting (maybe with a switch to negative fill or something if necessary). The ultra bounce (and similar options) sound ideal. I've never heard of camo nets, but that's a very interesting idea. I don't know if we have trees in the area to motivate it, though.

Would I need a frame for bleached mulsin or could I just lie it on the ground around the talent, assuming the sun was high in the sky? Thanks again for all the help.

• Premium Member
Thank you both for the helpful replies. We don't have the budget to rent too much gear, but I'll test the 1/4 grid against the 1/4 stop silk and see which I prefer. I want to err on the side of a bit too much diffusion; that way if the sun falls behind the clouds, we can keep shooting (maybe with a switch to negative fill or something if necessary). The ultra bounce (and similar options) sound ideal. I've never heard of camo nets, but that's a very interesting idea. I don't know if we have trees in the area to motivate it, though.

Would I need a frame for bleached mulsin or could I just lie it on the ground around the talent, assuming the sun was high in the sky? Thanks again for all the help.

You can just ay the muslin on the ground for the bounce fill.

• Premium Member

Construction supply. 4' x 8', 1" thick, single side foiled styrofoam. You usually have to commit a person to the task of human light stand. Two on windy days. But, it makes a faster shoot day. Lightly buff the foil side with some steel wool to break the harshness and/or lightly dust with spray paint to break it down. Foil side for medium to full body shots. White side for gentle close-ups. Cheap and effective. Just like I like it.

Hi Matti,

I think you meant bead-board, not beaver board. Bead board is a bounce - the same as the styrofoam board Paul recommends. A beaver-board is a 1/8 apple box with a 750 or 2K nail on plate screwed on it. The name has a somewhat ribald derivation. Aren't you going to use your hmi for fill?

I really like silver lame, but it can get harsh. You can just turn it to its white side, or you can clip a piece of muslin to the back. Good luck!

Hi Matti,

I think you meant bead-board, not beaver board. Bead board is a bounce - the same as the styrofoam board Paul recommends. A beaver-board is a 1/8 apple box with a 750 or 2K nail on plate screwed on it. The name has a somewhat ribald derivation. Aren't you going to use your hmi for fill?

I really like silver lame, but it can get harsh. You can just turn it to its white side, or you can clip a piece of muslin to the back. Good luck!

Hey Jon, good to hear from you. You're 100% right about the name, of course; I think the last crew I worked with was messing with me...that and I have terrible listening comprehension. We are bringing the hmi along just in case, but we're shooting so fast (8-10 pages a day, I'd guess) that we don't have time to deal with moving an hmi, particularly as this one isn't hot restrike.

I'll push to have the hmi available when possible, though, and we'll definitely pick up the silver lame and some extra mulsin to drape over it. Thanks for the advice.