slates in the rain

I was 2nding on a feature where one particular scene took place in the pouring rain and writing on the slates became a bit of a problem. The Dry Erase died immediately and the sharpie wouldn't stay on either, nor would the vis a vis marker, or the white gaff with sharpie on it. Just wondering if anyone knew of a good way to slate in the rain, or any place with lots of moisture.

Having dealt with situations like this in a non-ideal fashion (plastic bags, slating under umbrella, etc) what I've done is taken an old scratched-up slate that doesn't erase very well anymore, and converted it into a velcro slate. I put patches of white adhesive loop velcro on the front of the slate, and covered the back of the slate in loop velcro. Then I made lots of 1" stick-on numbers and letters with a labelmaker and hook velcro, and put them on the back of the slate. So in a rainy situation, you can pull out the velcro slate, and just stick on new numbers as needed, without having to deal with a marker.

Unfortunately, since I've made this slate, I haven't yet been in another situation where I needed it...

Having dealt with situations like this in a non-ideal fashion (plastic bags, slating under umbrella, etc) what I've done is taken an old scratched-up slate that doesn't erase very well anymore, and converted it into a velcro slate. I put patches of white adhesive loop velcro on the front of the slate, and covered the back of the slate in loop velcro. Then I made lots of 1" stick-on numbers and letters with a labelmaker and hook velcro, and put them on the back of the slate. So in a rainy situation, you can pull out the velcro slate, and just stick on new numbers as needed, without having to deal with a marker.

Great idea. I'll have to do that.

i always just end up holding the slate upside down when writing on it so the front doesnt get wet, and i keep a towel in my back pocket to erase/dry off the slate each time, and make sure the marker doesnt get wet.

I wonder how the old chalk-boards hold up in the rain, it feels like everyone has one knocking around!

I would guess they hold up better than dry-erase or water-soluble, but would still be susceptible to running. Just a guess, though.