Nikon AF lenses and DoF Adapters?

Ron Flex

Hello, I am curious about the use of Nikon AF lenses with DoF adapters.

Is it posibile to manual focus these auto focus lenses or disable auto-focus altogether?

Will AF lenses fit AI/AIS mount?

Thanks

• Premium Member
Hello, I am curious about the use of Nikon AF lenses with DoF adapters.

Is it posibile to manual focus these auto focus lenses or disable auto-focus altogether?

Will AF lenses fit AI/AIS mount?

Hi Ron,

yes they will. And most lenses don't have an integral the AF motor but use the one in the camera body. Those that have internal motors allow them to be switched of (eg. AF-S lenses have their own motors), with maybe a few exceptions, not sure right now. The real problem with new AF-G/AF-S G lenses is that they lack the aperture ring because this is set on the camera body (bummer!). Any specific lenses you want to use?

Cheers, Dave

Hi Ron,

yes they will. And most lenses don't have an integral the AF motor but use the one in the camera body. Those that have internal motors allow them to be switched of (eg. AF-S lenses have their own motors), with maybe a few exceptions, not sure right now. The real problem with new AF-G/AF-S G lenses is that they lack the aperture ring because this is set on the camera body (bummer!). Any specific lenses you want to use?

Cheers, Dave

I am looking to use a Nikkor AF 35-70mm F3.5-F4.5

Pretty slow but 3.5 is fine for outdoors in the summer and the zoom range is exactly what I need.

• Premium Member
I am looking to use a Nikkor AF 35-70mm F3.5-F4.5

Pretty slow but 3.5 is fine for outdoors in the summer and the zoom range is exactly what I need.

I guess you should be ok. All types of that lens are normal non-G lenses. Get a nice used 35-75 1:2.8. I got mine for 160 Euro. It's much sharper and overall better. Only drawback is that it's a push/pull zoom design.

Cheers, Dave

Because I have very little patience and money I went out today and grabbed the 2nd hand Nikkor 35-70 zoom lens.

Works fine with the LetusXL, the lens is relatively sharp and produces a nice wide angle. F3.3 is a tad slow but is ok outside, just pointless indoors without lots of light.

Comapred to the older FD and Nikkors from the 70s it does feel a tad cheap but its not so bad. My main issue is how slack the focus ring is. The slightest touch moves it. I much prefer the stiffness of my old FD lenses. Is there any way to stiffen the focus ring up?

Thanks!