Removing the entire viewfinder piece (for video tap)

luke grandmont

Hi

Trying out a video tap for an Arri SRII, but it requires the complete removal of the view finder assembly. I found that using a very small allen key loosened it (via the manual) but it just became very loose and would still would not budge. Anyone have any tips or words of advice? much appreciated

• Premium Member

Hi Luke,

You must extract the complete worm-gear screw. There is a lock-down screw which must be removed first. It's the one with the two slots. Please, if you don't have the proper Arri tool, try removing it Very Carefully with needle-nosed pliers. You may have to grind them down to fit the slots. When you have remoces thar lock-down piece, the whole worm gear will pull out. Then the finder will come off.

When reassembling, put the worm-gear in first, screw it in with the allen wrench, and then insert the slotted screw. Tighten down to apply friction, so that there is drag on the finder. Good Luck.

Hi

Trying out a video tap for an Arri SRII, but it requires the complete removal of the view finder assembly. I found that using a very small allen key loosened it (via the manual) but it just became very loose and would still would not budge. Anyone have any tips or words of advice? much appreciated

thanks a lot Bernie! I was just heading out to do some prep stuff for the shoot tomorrow and thought I'd check my posting first, I'll giver a try and let you know how it went.

thanks a lot Bernie! I was just heading out to do some prep stuff for the shoot tomorrow and thought I'd check my posting first, I'll giver a try and let you know how it went.

Well, I was able to get the view finder off and get the tap attached. When we went out to a monitor though the image was grey and fuzzy/super soft, almost ghost like. It's a T-bar looking video tap, pretty old as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This just means the video tap isn't positioned correctly and can't focus the image. On the SRII's i have used you should be able to (carefully) shimmy the video tap unit (CCD) further in or out of the mechanism it fits into and this should focus the image. Likewise if the image rotates or shifts to one side on the moniter it just means the tap isn't aligned properly.

Some minor alterations with the taps position should be able to fix your problem. Most probably just pushing it further in or out of the camera unit to focus.