will a camera that meters between 25 and 400 meter 500T?

Hi, I am just wondering if a camera that meters between 25 and 400 will meter a 500T film correctly, I think the number 25 to 400 are daylight values, which means a 500 tungsten value should be below 400 daylight value - but I don't know if I am correct so I guess I am asking here :)

your answers are much appreciated :)

btw anyone have any opinions on the best stock to go with, I am thinking the kodak 5219 Pro 8mm repackaged film, whatever they call it. It is mostly for existing light shooting outdoors at night and as well as for indoor low light shooting w/ soft lighting and coloured gels.

camera is a chinon pacifica 38 w/ 1.7 lens and im not sure of the shutter degree...

thanks so much

I'm only going to comment on the ASA question, because David's link pretty much sums it up.

If your meter only goes up to 400, and you want to shoot with 500T, you just need to close down a third of a stop from what the meter tells you to set to. Most people rate 500T film at 320- or 400T anyway though. It's a good idea to follow suit.

As far as tungsten lighting, that is up to you to make sure the color temperature of the lights is appropriate. I'm pretty sure most meters are blind to the color temperature of the light; mine is.

I'm only going to comment on the ASA question, because David's link pretty much sums it up.

If your meter only goes up to 400, and you want to shoot with 500T, you just need to close down a third of a stop from what the meter tells you to set to. Most people rate 500T film at 320- or 400T anyway though. It's a good idea to follow suit.

As far as tungsten lighting, that is up to you to make sure the color temperature of the lights is appropriate. I'm pretty sure most meters are blind to the color temperature of the light; mine is.

thanks, I'm def gonna take some books out my university's library asap - hopefully they have that one

the reason I ask though, is because the values written on my camera are - auto between 25/40 and 400/640 ASA (daylight/tungsten)

I was under the impression, like one of the respondents that colour tone of the film shouldn't affect the ASA, so what does this mean?

From a keep it simple stupid perspective I am assuming that if my camera says it'll do between 40 and 640 tungsten, it will work with 500T but its just so confusing that I'm trying to make sure there's nothing I am missing.

There's no ASA 500 speed indice in the super 8 system, so what Kodak does with V500 is they speed-notch the cartridge at ASA 400D/250T, and supply it in a 'notchless' filter cartridge as well. This automatically sets the exposure meter to ASA 250, which is one stop "overexposed."

Not sure how Pro8 handles their notching-- but they don't go the overexposure route I've heard.

Kodak prefers this for negative films-- there's so much latitude in those stocks that moving the exposure over one-stop on the H+D curve really opens up the shadow detail.

If your camera will read up to ASA 640, then it will read V500 whichever way the manufacturer sets it up. Nothing to worry about.